Connect with us

Level Shifter

Discussion in 'Beginner Electronics' started by Ed, Oct 22, 2003.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ed

    Ed Guest


    I need to convert between 3.3V and 5V and vice versa. Does anyone
    know of any chips that will do this? The chip has to be a standard
    DIP package.

    Thanks for any info,
  2. Luhan Monat

    Luhan Monat Guest


    I dont know about a chip that does this, but I have had to do it for a
    project. There are some cases that dont require much hardware.....

    5v open collector to 3.3 volt input: just add a pullup resistor.

    3.3 open collector to 5 volt input: same, just add a pullup.

    3.3 to 5 volt ttl level or 74hct serieas cmos: just connect, levels are
    ok. This will not work for 74hc or cd40xx parts (at least not reliably).

    5 volt ttl/cmos to 3.3 input: wont work unless input specified to work
    if driven overvoltage. Maybe using a 2-10k series resistor to limit
    current would work in most other cases.

  3. Jimmy

    Jimmy Guest

    I ve done the 5 to 3.3 conversion just by using a voltage divider. Belive
    the values were 2k from the 5v out put tothe 3.3 input and 10k from 3.3v
    input to ground. You might have to play with these values a little.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day