Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Leds under rain

grrrz

Aug 17, 2017
Hi, I work on an art installation outdoor in singapore right now, where there's very heavy rain. Our system usually can stand rain to some extent. The leds are connected to dimmers that are protected from weather, but there might be a risk as connectors to the leds are exposed (those are XLR connectors)
Anyway my question is: does it make a difference in regards to risks of short-circuit (between +12V and negative that are used to dim) if the dimmer is on, but the lights are all turned off, compared to turning the leds on? what may be the risk?
(I understand it's better to leave everything powered so the ciruitry stays a bit hot and don't risk humidity)
thanks for your answer

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I don't really understand the question about what would be worse.

However, I would suggest that you should look at a conformal coating and/or potting your devices.

grrrz

Aug 17, 2017
I don't really understand the question about what would be worse.

However, I would suggest that you should look at a conformal coating and/or potting your devices.
Hi, the Leds are weatherproof and inside a plastic mannequin. The only thing exposed would be the XLR plug to the leds
My questions was, If the dimming circuit is on but the lights are off (dimmed to 0), and there is short between +12V and R/G/B (-); is there a risk to fry the transistor or the wole device the same way as if the lights are on.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Providing you have the proper protection on the AC mains side (RCD, ELCB etc) the 12V DC side shouldn't be an issue even if it gets wet. Your biggest problem would normally be with corrosion caused by electrolysis but with rain water (the purer the better) this is not usually an issue unless you're talking long term (years). Keeping the power 'on' means keeping the electrolysis action working.... so don't do that.

You can purchase silicon 'hoods' for plugs to help keep rain off and improve longevity. There may even be IP-rated XL plugs. You'd need to look for IP54 or better.