Connect with us

Led

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Lashlaru, Sep 21, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Lashlaru

Lashlaru

Sep 21, 2017
    Hello, I am totally new to this and no electronic expert. I am trying to repair a red led display. Can anybody tell me where I could order one from? The numbers mean nothing to me but I'm sure I could I could get the display working. Please see attached photos.

Attached Files:

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Measure the height of the digit (not the whole package, just the segmented part).

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/96548/ETC/TOS5161.html

The data sheet linked to above could well be the one.

It's quite common to replace such digits with 'whatever is available' as there are many manufacturers with identical devices. You may have to use the suppliers 'filters' to select digit size, colour, segment current etc as the following link shows:

http://uk.farnell.com/w/c/optoelect...displays?led-colour=red&character-size=14.2mm

If you can get a match the you may be happier replacing them all - at $1 a piece (or thereabouts) it wouldn't cost much (plenty of soldering though!) but you'd get an evenly lit display result.

The main 'key' is to get the correct 'polarity' common anode or common cathode and I believe the device you have is common ANODE.

3. dorke

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
    Welcome to EP.

Are you sure the problem is with the 7 segment LED display itself?
    How many do you have on the board?

4. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    If the display board is multiplexed and only one digit isn't working (completely off) then check the digit driver circuitry (either discreet transistors or an IC array of them, potentially the driver signal line from the controller).

If just a couple of segments are dud then yes, it will be the display itself.

5. Lashlaru

Lashlaru

Sep 21, 2017
    Hi, thanks for your help. Only one of the segments is out, the top one. I have seen a few on eBay but not sure which one to order. Nothing matches the number. Any advice would be great, some say anode some cathode?

6. Lashlaru

Lashlaru

Sep 21, 2017
    Hi, yes I'm fairly sure. It's a four digit display and the last digit has the top segment out. I have metered out the cable and checked resistors the best I know how.

Ask a Question