Connect with us

Led Strobe circuit help???

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by AGLite, Mar 2, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. AGLite

AGLite

Feb 19, 2012
    Hi guys,

I have a problem with a circuit i am modifying... Its a circuit from radioshack's electronics lab booklets. It uses the 4049 IC and the 4066 IC. It has adjustable speed using a pot., I didn't want that so I put in a 4.7k resistor to get the flash speed I wanted. It operates off of 6 volts and runs two leds alternating just fine. But I need it to run on 9 volts and run 4 panels of 18 5mm leds. All of it should be on a 9 volt battery for bicycle lighting or maybe two 9 volts. I put this circuit on a perfboard but it does not work correctly. It flashes out of sync and much faster. It also stores power in the ground terminals on the labs breadboard now when I tried to re do it on the breadboard to see whats wrong with the actual board on the perfboard. All wiring is checked countless times. Ohh and pin 9 of the 4049 is what is holding power to the ground.

Pictures are attached along with a schematic.

Attached Files:

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Your first problem is the 4066. It has a fairly high ON resistance, so if you have multiple LEDs, you'll have issues with this.

Your second problem is that the 4049 has a limited output current. More than 1 LED in parallel is going to cause problems.

The best option would be to use the signal passing through the 4066 to switch a transistor which can then switch a higher current load (your panel of LEDs)

3. AGLite

AGLite

Feb 19, 2012
    Ok gotcha, do you think you could walk me through the process?

4. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    look at the "transistor driver circuit" on this page.

It should not matter which circuit you use because it appears your duty cycle(s) are 50%

5. AGLite

AGLite

Feb 19, 2012
    how do i find the signal passing through the 4066?

6. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Pins 2 and 4 of the 4066 are the pins which need to be connected to the base of transistors via a suitable resistor (as shown in my earlier link)

Ask a Question