Connect with us

LED Strip weirdness

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by percecta, Apr 10, 2017.

1. percecta

percecta

Apr 10, 2017
    Hello,
    I have a question about something that happened yesterday which is weird to me and I would like to understand what was going on.
    I connected 3,5m of a 5m LED strip (http://www.banggood.com/5M-300-LEDs...Waterproof-DC-12V-p-922277.html?rmmds=myorder) to a 12V 2A supply.
    All the LEDs had the same brightness on 12V so it looked like there were no bad ones.

The strange thing is that at the beginning (first hour of letting it light up) when I disconnected the PSU a couple of times from the socket all LEDs got dark immediately but 3 were slowly dimming out (consuming the remaining power stored in the PSU while the voltage dropped down)
    I thought maybe these few LEDs were parasitic or something or that this has something to do with the resistors (SMD 151)
    After a few hours of having the strip turned on I switched the supply off again and I noticed that all LEDs went out completely evenly at the same time when I pulled out the PSU from the socket.

Also on the beginning the 3 LEDs took about 5 seconds to discharge the supply (while the other 200 were dark)
    Now as it is evenly going out it just takes 0,5 seconds to discharge it which is logical to me because there are more consuming LEDs but I still don't get why the behaviour can change on it's own.

How on earth is it possible that now the strip is completely even dimming out (as it should be) when the voltage drops down but on the beginning there were just 3 consuming all the remaining energy?

I hope you know what I mean because I am not sure if it understandable and english is not my first language.

I would really appreciate if you could explain that for me strange phenomenon. :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. percecta

percecta

Apr 10, 2017
    Is it maybe possible that there was less resistance near those 3 LEDs so the remaining power was consumed by these. Is it possible that a resistor got needed some "burn in" time until it got the right resistance? Or even that the LEDs did change a bit after some time of running?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
Ask a Question