Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED power supply thermal fuse blown

davidjk

Oct 2, 2014
hi again,
i have a 12v 6amp LED power supply that does not work. i opened it up and i can see that what appears to be a thermal fuse that appears to have blown
The LEDS are a 5 meter 5050 300 LED and apparently draw 2 amps.
i am happy to replace the fuse, but i do not know what rating to get. the glass surround is shattered and unreadable
could you if possible let me know what rating thermal fuse to get

the power supply is an ly 1206
http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/659-130555-27361/PCH-OEM-Power-AC-Adapter-Compatible.html

This is the Fuse i mentioned
IMG_0083.JPG
and the power supply
IMG_0085.JPG

Many thanks

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Fuse to me looks to be located very close to the input.
Output is down the other end.
Other than that, what is you query about then..? i.e. you already seem to know your answer

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
OK so you want a fuse rated at 240VAC and ~ 1.5A
it isn't a thermal fuse, as you have already stated its glass encapsulated and also it isn't in contact with any components

Be aware that replacing the fuse may see its instant demise as well because of a fault further into the circuit
possibly the bridge rectifier which appears to be located between the heatsink and that large electrolytic capacitor towards the top left corner of pic 2

Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yeah, I'd replace the fuse and then measure the resistance across the mains pins. (with some experience you can do this before replacing the fuse, but measuring across the correct points on the board.)

If the resistance is very low (and stays that way) then a failed bridge rectifier is one option. It's also possible that the mosfet has failed. Both of these are relatively easy to diagnose.