Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED path WS2811

Francesco

Dec 4, 2016
Hi, I want to build an outdoor walkable RGB ws2811 led strip path (so a led profile with strips between the tiles).
While making a building scheme I wasn't sure about some stuffs.
The total needed length for the strips is 20 meters
As strips I think to use 4 RGB ws2811 12v 5050 30led/m waterproof strips (only silicone coated to make them fit in the waterproof walkable aluminium profile)
Let's calculate the power needed at full brightness: We have 30led/m, so a total of 600 LEDs that use 7.2w/m for a total of 144w at 12v

Now the issue is: since a want them to behave like a longer single strip, so the animations run smoothly from the beginning of the strip to the end:
1-what kind of controller should I use? keep in mind that it’s a home application and I don't need ultra-complex stuffs, just simple one like rainbow wave, shifting colours, waiving colours, etc... I have no interest in expensive controllers and, if you suggest it, I don't mind buying and Arduino and copying/Creating some code
2-can I connect them by simply soldering the out data from one strip to the in data from the other? or do I need some kind of amplifier?
3-so, to make this work I need to add a new AC230-DC12 50w waterproof transformer for each 5-meter strip. Is there a better or more efficient way to do this? I read about connecting 2 strips in a single 10-meter strip and then give power from each end, is it true? what kind of connection I should have? does it work better than each 5-meter roll powered from one side?

Thanks all

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I answered you or another student in your class a few minutes ago on another website forum:
"LED strips are powered from a 12VDC controller, not from a 12VAC transformer.

You said, "we". If it is school work then ask your teacher about it."

ledstrips8.com have LED strips with a new WS2812B IC built into each LED (WS2811 ICs were external to the LEDs before) and each of its LEDs can be addressed and controlled individually.

Francesco

Dec 4, 2016
Hi

I said AC230-DC12, I know they are powered from DC12, you are talking about standard strips, not the ws2811 ones that have 3 lines 12v DATA GND, I know how to use standard lines but not the WS2811 controlled ones. I don't know if by simply soldering the 2 data of each 5m strip and taking power from the external power supply, every 5m, the strip is read as one or not. It's me on the other forum too and no, is not a school project, I used we for a native language factor.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The WS2811 LED strips will do nothing without a controller. They need a data stream to set the color of each individual LED. If you simply power it up, nothing will be on. They work like a shift register. Data is put in asynchronously by having a short pulse for a 0 and a long pulse for a 1. After it has seen 24 pulses (8 per color, RGB), it is latched into that LED. The next 24 bit sequence shifts the data from the first to the second LED and puts the new data into the first one. And so on. You need to send 60 sets of data or 1440 bits of data to light all the LEDs in a one meter strip. A very long pulse resets all the LEDs to all zeros, or off.

Bob

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
When I researched WS2811 I found it to be an IC that is used on an RGB LED strip. I found improved LED strips with a WS2812B inside each LED, then each LED can be addressed and controlled..