Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED ON / OFF by Magnet

Daijanus

Sep 25, 2018
Hello, i am very new to this things and ask for forgiveness if its the wrong forum or form to ask.

Im looking to Trun an LED ON / OFF with a magnet, Also id like to switch colours with the magnet at another location - but thats another thing.

The Idea is to have a magnetic ring. Put it close to the switch - light on and STAYS on even when ring gets away.
Switch it off whne the ring is close again.

I was looking into reed switches but those seem only to work while the magnet is present.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank!

D.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Or look for a small hall effect device. Those with a digital output my at be able to drive a led.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I happen to be doing this right now! I have made a "music box" with a barbie type doll on top for my dance showcase this year (Viennese Waltz.) I (the gentleman suitor) brings the box, covered with a silk handkerchief to the girl of my dreams (played by the Lovely Wife Morticia, of course) and place it on the small table she is sitting next to. I wave my hands and the silk jumps into my hand and is removed. The silk has a magnet at the peak and there is a hall sensor (SOT23) in the doll's hair. Removing the magnet starts the doll spinning and LEDs are lit in her dress. Morticia jumps up, spins like the doll a couple of times, then we run toward each other and when we touch, her dress lights up like the doll's, and the doll stops and LEDs go out. As we are doing this, music has faded from music box to full orchestra playing Shostakovich's Jazz Waltz #2. And we dance...

I am using a microcontroller that has ~reset held low by the hall sensor so that it boots when I remove the magnet and turns on the motor and the LEDs. It knows where it the music I remove the silk, so it keeps time, and it stops just as Morticia's dress lights up. At the end, the music fades back to the music box and the doll spins again, then the mechanism stops as the music ends.

If only we could dance it would be a lovely routine.

Bob

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Latching hall effect switch....just have to apply one pole at turn on, opposite pole at turn off.
In my experience with hall effect I find using 3mm diameter x 1mm thick rare earth magnets sufficient.
Most work in the range of 3 to 30 odd volts. Just watch unusual connections.......output open collector.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9312 ...mmm out of stock there...

try Ebay............

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5Pcs-Ha...357173?hash=item41e9add275:g:y4sAAOSwWUtbaxKB

EDIT:- Supply is 3.5 to 24V with 50mA current ability. Spec says dis 100 .... I imagine 100mW

Last edited:

Daijanus

Sep 25, 2018
Thank you a lot(!!) for the suggestions and Bob i love your showmanship with this project!
Keep it stylish ;)