Connect with us

Led microcontroller for thickos?

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by jimcanswim, Feb 14, 2013.

1. jimcanswim

jimcanswim

Feb 14, 2013
    Hi, I am trying to build my first little project and I want to have upto 56 leds each with their own characteristic flashing sequence.

Is there any standard microcontrollers out there that I could use? The thought of building a microcontroller scares me.

Thanks

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    You can use any µC with at least 15 free I/O ports. Use them as one 8 bit port and one 7 bit port and use multiplexing to drive the LEDs in a 7*8 matrix.

See this reference.

3. jimcanswim

jimcanswim

Feb 14, 2013
    Wow that reference you sent was awesome, where do I get something like that?

Do you think I would be aple to have flying leads to the LEDs which I want to mount on a separate art piece?

I didn't understand any of the tech speak as I'm a noob, so please be gentle and speak slowly :)

4. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    Buy the kit right there.

I don't know. Are you able? :D
    Of course you can do that. It just takes some careful work to connect all those wires correctly.

5. jimcanswim

jimcanswim

Feb 14, 2013
    I mean, can you pull the leds out or are they soldered in place?

6. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    You'll have to solder the kit yourself. So don't solder the LEDs into the PCB in the first place but use wires to connect them. May look a bit messy but possible.

7. jimcanswim

jimcanswim

Feb 14, 2013
    thanks for that. Do you know the physical dimensions of peggy?

8. pwdixon

pwdixon

Oct 14, 2012
    Did you read the ref webpage? It is there.

Ask a Question