Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED Lighting Project

rogermcelroy

Mar 28, 2012
I am trying to use set up some 12v LED lighting to run from a car battery which is charged by a solar panel.

Does anyone know of any 12v LED lamps which may work - I would use bayonet cap lamps but these that are commercially available are 240v not 12v.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Be aware that many 12V LED emitters are just LEDs and have no current limiting, so their use with voltage sources (as opposed to using them with a constant current driver) may give them a very bright, but also very short career.

Go searchng on http://dealextreme.com They have heaps. Most are as described above.

Here is one (I searched for 12V LED)

These things are cheap and Chinese. Beware of insufficient heatsinking and other "quality" issues.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
there are 12v edison screw lights, but incandesent bulbs chew more power than led's typically as for which type, depends on a myriad of things, like how bright? how many? do you want them coloured or plain white?
if its for camping you can grab a cigarette lighter plug to hook up to the battery and go to most auto shops and get a portable light from there, this setup is also useful if you buy a torch and want to charge it from said cigarette lighter socket

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
if you use an LED, be 3.7v or 12v, a Regulator is highly recommended to keep it at a constant 3.7v or 12volts.... and either PWM or a nice juicy resistor to keep it from burning out.