Connect with us

LED Lighting Help

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by zild1221, Mar 12, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. zild1221

zild1221

Mar 13, 2013
    Hopefully you guys can help me out on this one, I might have gotten in a little over my head. I don't know much about electrical engineering, but am usually pretty decent at researching enough to piece things together.

I have an outdoor lighting project. I have to make some custom LED lights that will be fixed to stone walls. Off the shelf units weren't cutting it, and is why a DIY solution is in order.

For simplicity's sake, I'm going to just focus this thread on ONE of the walls, so 12 lights total.

Right now, I am looking at either using a 5w or 10w LED chip. Either this:
    http://www.ledsupply.com/leds/cree-xlamp-xpg2-high-power-led
    Or this:
    http://www.ledsupply.com/leds/cree-xlamp-xm-l2-leds
    I think 10w will be overkill, but I need to purchase some and test which will give me the amount of luminosity I need.

I need these lights to be app controlled to turn them on and off and dim them. I need to do this all the cheapest and easiest way possible. I can solder components, and I am building custom housings for all of these so that part isn't the issue. I am just a little lost on which drivers/controllers will be sufficient.

Talking to a friend, if I was to use the 10w LEDs above, we discussed using a 24V power supply and two of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/300-3000mA-...a473db983:g:wRUAAOSwo8hTopLs&autorefresh=true 1 per 6 leds. However, I don't think this is the best or easiest way to go about this.

Hopefully you guys have some insight. Like I said, I'm a little lost on this whole subject. Thanks in advance!

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
  3. tedstruk

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
    most of the guys in here think I'm a loon so you don't have to take anything I say seriously....

your little cree bulbs specs are 1500ma.... correct me if I'm wrong, but thats 1.5amps each.... you will need to total the amps, to what you need to drive the lot. Make sure you have the supply deliver at least what you require and a bit more for brown outs and surges;
    Then consider your design.... how long will they be lit? Sometimes you need options rather than solutions. How about a dual bank light that comes on bright and dims after a few seconds? or a manually dimable light with a waterproof case?

Exterior devices are very hard to keep exterior, and they sell special exterior fixtures.

The biggest loon has spoken so... well, at least think about it!

4. tedstruk

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
  5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Consider yourself corrected.

Ask a Question