Connect with us

LED light panel build. How to power?

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by diensth, May 26, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. diensth

diensth

Apr 27, 2012
    Hello hello.

I am a filmmaker and excited to build 1 or two new light panels for on set. I am in the planning stage and could really use some help in doing this right. I have a very limited knowedge on electronics such as this and am confused as to how I can power the panel.

I have sourced my Flex LED Tape (company is MOSS LED). Great product and excited to use. 5 meter roll of high CRI (90+), smd 5050, energy consumption 72 watts.
    I will be using the whole roll for one light panel, cutting it into 20 lengths of 20cm each length. Then assembling them together over a sheet to form a square. I will solder the ends together accordingly with 22 Guage wire and put in a Dimmer (3V - 35V 5A 90w Switching Frequency: 10K)

What I want is to be able to power into a household wall and then also have the option of battery power.

Is there any chance that I could use a power bank for this job? (The ones used to juice up cell phones & laptops). I use one to power my camera and it works great (brand 'XT Power' 10000mAh 9v/12v DC output). Power bank to camera Dummy battery.

I am in Bangkok at the moment and 20-30000mAh power banks are all over the place, though they only have usb in/out on them. Would a usb-to-DC adapter work? I like using them as they are cheap and small. Hoping I can make it work.
    Perhaps using an XT Power 10000 mAh 12v out would work?

What other options do I have for battery power.

Looking forward,
    John

2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    If you have a collection of LEDs that draw 72W, then there is no way that a cell phone power bank will hold up.
    You might get a limited time on a laptop power bank... as long as you make sure it can support the power draw you have.
    As far as a 'UDB-DC' adaptor is concerned, you will need a DC-DC 'Boost' Type converter to take the 5V from the USB supply rail to convert to 12V for your LED strip. (It is 12V ... right?)
    The tricky part here is that a USB plug is not designed to supply 15Amps! ... If you convert 5V to 12V, then the current draw on the 5V side will be considerably higher.
    Those power banks usually have a small boost converter inside them anyway to convert the (most likely) Lithium based battery from 3.7V to the 5V required output.
    That poor battery is going to be stressed.
    You may be better off looking at lead acid batteries, or making your own power bank with NiCd, NiMh, or Lithium based hobby battery packs.
    Nice thing about lead acid is they are usually sold as 12V... although they are heavy

Ask a Question