Connect with us

LED ipod dock mod?

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Tom Barton, May 25, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Tom Barton

Tom Barton

May 25, 2011
    hey there all :D
    thinking about an LED mod for my ipod dock and wordering if you guys could inspire me. i here is my project specification:
    i want it to be non intrusive, more like an addon rather than taking the case off
    it basically just needs to activate the lights when i put the ipod on the dock
    i have and ipod touch 3g
    needs to be powered by a 3v battery

here is a list of some materials i have
    3mm acryllic(colour matches dock)
    polished aluminium
    loads of generic red, green yellow LEDs
    Some High tensile glass(looks nice)

hope you guys can give me some ideas :)

2. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    Hi Tom :)
    If you want to start a lighting effect when you plug your ipod in you'll have to decide how the electronics you build will sense when you put the ipod in to charge.
    You could use a light-dependent resistor which changes resistance whn something (your ipod) blocks the light, or you could use a switch that changes when the ipod gets put in position. You could generate the light for the first option in various ways, or you could use natural light.
    Then you could use an LM3909 led flasher to create your light effect.
    So google "light-dependent resistor" or find out about switches, and google LM3909, and see if that's what you wanted.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  3. Tom Barton

Tom Barton

May 25, 2011
    thanks for the idea :) i decided to use an ldr but since i had trouble with it working at night, i took i one step further and made a laser to point at it which looks cool. as for the lights, i used a decade counter connected to an astable 555 timer circuit and led strips to make it look like a runway
    much appreciations :D

Ask a Question