Connect with us

led graphic equalizer

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by john shaughnessy, Feb 2, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. john shaughnessy

john shaughnessy

Feb 2, 2016
    Hi guys.I am trying to build an led display for an alloy panel for my mobile dj booth.Im in no ways a professional in electronics and stuff my graphic led.jpg .It has 25 segments that are 65mm x 28mm in size.I am thinking of having a mirrored perspex piece on the back and obscure perspex of which i will cut out the segments and silicon them in place to try to light the whole segment up.Any one got any ideas please of what components i will need as the led light would need to move up and down as a graphic equalizer would and be possibly powered from a 9 to 12v power supply.Any help would be great.cheers John.

2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    If you want to build it yourself... you can look into DIY 'VU Meters' .
    It boils down to using some capacitors, inductors, and maybe an opamp with some bar LED drivers.
    End result is an LED display that incrementally turns on additional LEDs as the sound level increases for each of the bands you decide to filter!

The magic part you need is here : http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm3914.pdf
    As the 'voltage' into the pin increases, it turns on the LEDs.
    You need one of these chips for each 'bar' you want... or you could do it the lazy way and use a single driver and only listen to to the 60 - 100Hz range. The lights will move with the beat ;)

3. john shaughnessy

john shaughnessy

Feb 2, 2016
    Fantastic,many thanks for your help. john

Gryd3 likes this.
Ask a Question