Connect with us

Led from Mercedes headlight

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Leds, Feb 10, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Leds

Leds

Feb 10, 2018
    Hello!
    I had a spare headlight from my mercedes laying around and decided to take it apart. I took the powerfull led out.The problem is that I don't know what voltage I will have to connect to which contacts on the connector. Can someone pleas help me? I took some pictures and used a multimeter to make a scematic of al the connections.

Attached Files:

2. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    Get the vehicle wiring diagram to check if there is a power module driving the LED. That power module will be mandatory to use and fed by the 12V battery.

3. Leds

Leds

Feb 10, 2018
    I don't think the power module will work for me. It has about 40 in/output pins. So that is bit to difficult I think.

4. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    Well, difficult is one thing; proper is another.
    You can try feeding each led emitter with a current limited voltage source to the emission level of satisfaction under the smoking point.

Arouse1973 likes this.
  5. Leds

Leds

Feb 10, 2018
    That is what my plan already was, but than still which contactpoint is negative and which is positive? And what voltage should I hook up?

6. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    I would try first briefly with 2 AAA cells in series for 3V and mark red the + wire at the polarity that turns it on. It may be faint.
    Then the polarity is known.
    Next, depending on the voltage supply you want to use, calculate a series resistor, for which you should have an educated guess of the LEDs data sheet.
    Edit. Magnifying your picture, see 6 emitters per LED. Perhaps the 3v will not be enough. 12V with 2KΩ in series may.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  7. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    One would have to wonder why you would destroy an obviously expensive Mercedes part just to get a couple of LEDs.

8. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    ^ :D

You could check in the car itself and see which wires have power on them when you turn the lights on.

9. Leds

Leds

Feb 10, 2018
    I got the light for free, and it had damage, but it still worked.

About the 2 AAA's in series to get 3 volt and test the polarity, I tried it with a 3.3 volt power suply with an other led out of the same headlight. So my first try was wrong and the Led was broken. This is my last led so I want to do it with care.

Ask a Question