Connect with us

Led flashlight question

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Dean54449, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Dean54449

Dean54449

Nov 17, 2015
    hello, I'm new here and have a led flashlight question. It is a k5 tactical flashlight, 1 aa battery, three modes. High, low, and strobe, I use the flashlight daily at my job. I would like to get rid of the low and strobe features cause they cause more trouble than what they are worth. I did this on a different brand flashlight by bypassing the little circuit board and just wiring the led direct to the batt. and switch. I try this with the k5 and its a no go. What am I missing? One batt won't power it without the circuitry but 2 will. So I but the light back to stock and it works with just the one battery like it is ment to. Is there any way around this? Thanks for any help!
    Dean

2. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    Hi Dean,
    The cicuitry is more than likely a DC to DC boost converter. Hence why it works with two batteries without the circuit.
    You may be able to replace the circuit with a single boost converter from Ebay.
    But I doubt you would be lucky to find one that fits your torch housing.

Martin

3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    The word "torch" used by you Brits always amuses me. Here in the US, a torch is what the towns people are carrying when they storm my mentor (Dr. Frankenstein)'s castle.

Bob

bigone5500 and Martaine2005 like this.
  4. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    Hahaha Bob,
    I just re-read my post. My, doesn't that word sound ancient!!
    But Brits are lazy. So one syllable words flow easier!

I don't know why I used that out of date term as the OP used it 5 times!!:rolleyes:

Martin

5. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    The multiple modes with one button suggests the presence of a microcontroller and either a current regulating circuit or more likely a simple PWM drive. Your chances of successfully modifying it to your purpose without destroying it are small. Just buy a Fenix PD35, 960 Lumens for $70. It has 6 modes but the mode select is accomplished with a separate switch so it remembers the brightness level at switch off and returns to it when switched back on.

6. bigone5500

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
    They could have called it a 'FlashTorch' instead of flashlight....:confused:

Martaine2005 likes this.
Ask a Question