Connect with us

LED flasher circuit

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by abramelin, Oct 21, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. abramelin

abramelin

Oct 20, 2010
    Hello all
    I'm in need of advice and/or a circuit diagram for the following.

One group of 6 LEDs to flash for one second on and off for one second.
    Second group of 4 LEDs, to flash for .5 second on and off for .75 second.

Can it be built as one circuit or will it have to be two seperate circuits, I would perfer it as one if possible. I have built a circuit that flashes 2 LEDs that uses a 555 chip from what I've found online but I have no idea how to adapt it to do any or all of the above.

Cheers in advance for all help with this.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You need 2 555 oscillator circuits. One for the first flash rate, the second for the other.

A 555 can easily drive multiple LEDs. If these are high power LEDs, then it's not too hard to use a MOSFET or bipolar transistor driven by the 555 to switch them on and off.

I can't tell you exactly how to connect your LEDs as the best arrangement depends on your supply voltage. The simplest way is to place a resistor in series with each LED and then connect all of these between the 555's output ground.

Look at this page which shows how to connect multiple LEDs to a 555 for varying supply voltages.

edit: it could be 1 board with 2 555's on it, or 2 boards (each with 1 555), or a single board with a 556 (a dual 555) on it. As to whether you describe it as one circuit or 2, that's up to you.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  3. abramelin

abramelin

Oct 20, 2010
    Thanx for that.
    Will give it a try.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Perhaps a little clarification is in order.

The link I gave you uses the discharge pin and a transistor to drive the LEDs. All I was intending to show was the way the LEDs are wired up. They can be connected to pin 3 (output).

Note that the 555 is typically limited in the duty cycle of the output. There are various methods that can be used to get around this limitation, the link I gave being one, but this probably being easier in your case as it allows the use of the output pin to drive the LEDs.

Ask a Question