Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED connected though a SSR - Help.

Jim Tonelli

May 24, 2017
Good afternoon. I have a panel with a PID, Solid State relay, and a 240v heating element. My PID has control to reduce the output of the element by cycling it on and off quickly. I set the PID to 1% to represent the slowest on and off cycle. about 1 second. My goal was to add a 240v LED wired in parallel with the 240v element to illuminate when power was actually applied to the element, my expectation is that it would flutter, or blink as the power switches on and off - but it does not, it just stays lit. the SSR has a light that goes on an off as it is energized, so I know the power is being pulsed. I touched the LED to a 240V source and it seemed very quick to respond. any idea why my LED would not be responsive?

I have a Fluke87 that I use to test the output, but it does not seem to register quickly enough, I just ordered a cheap analog VOM meter that may help me better see what is going on.

Thanks, Jim

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
It sounds like there is leakage current through the SSR, but without a wiring diagram of your setup it is impossible to say for sure.

ak

Jim Tonelli

May 24, 2017
It sounds like there is leakage current through the SSR, but without a wiring diagram of your setup it is impossible to say for sure.

ak
When I turn off the PID, the SSR light shuts off, as does the LED. It just seems that when there is power to the LED it does not react quickly enough. Probably needs a resistor of some sort to quickly drain when off, but I don't know where to start.

set up is basic. 240 in>> 2 pole breaker >>> on leg in and out of SSR > element. the other leg goes directly to the element. the LED is hooked up on both legs at the element.

Thanks for your reply.