Connect with us

LED circuit powered by 12 volt molex

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Tomha, Feb 13, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Tomha

Tomha

Feb 13, 2012
    I want to set up a LED backlight/glow kind of thing for my computer.

My power supply offers 12 volt molex plugs, so I would start by getting an old molex plug and using that. Then I want to get 8 blue LED lights and link them up to the molex. My question to you people is what kind of circuit would I need to set this up? After discussions with various people I got mixed results, some say a simple parallel circuit would distribute the power evenly, others say I would need resistors and make something like 2x 4 LED series circuits at 6V each. Ideally I would like to have it in a rectangular shape, like my motherboard, so please keep that in mind where possible (i.e. Its easy enough to make a parallel circuit in a line, a box is slightly harder). I have basic soldering/circuit knowledge, but it doesnt extend far so please keep it simply worded? :p

Tom

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Read this. Then come back if you have any questions.

3. Tomha

Tomha

Feb 13, 2012
    That is sort of what I expected, so from the positive end, I want the positive to split to all 8 LEDs, with a resistor between the positive and the LED, and then every LED to lead back to the negative?

And how do I figure out what kind of resistors I need if the power source is 12V? (that may have been in there, sorry if I didn't pick it up (ok, I do see an explanation now, but I cant make sense of it =/))

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
Ask a Question