Connect with us

Led charger indicator

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Mmystere68, Mar 5, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Mmystere68

Mmystere68

Nov 9, 2015
    check this out:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1M-LED-Ligh...hash=item43dea66d2b:m:mkaLiLTL1rQTnH5CrjIoP7Q

How does it work?
    I want to make something like this, but instead of the indicator being in the cable, i want to be able to plug in in a wall usb charger, and then plug the usb cable in it. this way i could use it with any cable and adapters.

I basically want to make the indicator part as in the diagram i made

Attached Files:

2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    It's does not work as advertised.
    The LED color changes based on the amount of current drawn through the cable.
    When a high current is being drawn, the LED shows red, when a low current is being drawn it shows blue. This does not, and cannot directly determine the state of charge.
    You can mimic this with your device.

What you will need, or need to research:
    - Current detection. (Look for pre-made modules, or you can build you own with a very very low value resistor. You measure the 'voltage' across the resistor and you can determine how much current is going through it.)
    - Comparator. (This is what you will use to compare the 'current detection' to a 'threshold'. Once the current detection is higher than the threshold, you can turn on the red LED)
    - *USB Charging standards. (This will tell you the typical amounts of current that are drawn in normal use and during charging for most devices.)

3. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    There's a slightly easier / cruder way simply by using a zener diode..

Gryd3 likes this.
  4. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    I still prefer a voltage comparitor circuit :)

Attached Files:

Ask a Question