Connect with us

LED Buring in

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Barry white, Jun 2, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Barry white

Barry white

Jun 2, 2017
    doe's anyone burn in their LED's ? I make some small parts for the motor trade and have experienced failure of the LED on a number of occasions. I've borrow a rig from a friend who seems to think if I burnt them in for around 30 days they will last much longer. Anyone done this before ?

2. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Poppycock! LEDs either work or they don't. If they don't, there is probably something wrong with your circuit design and burning them in with a test rig isn't going to help with that. LEDs fail from excessive current. Check your design to see if the current in the LED can exceed its specified ratings. LEDs don't much care for reverse polarity either. Make sure whatever you are building for "the motor trade" doesn't allow this to happen because of inductive "kick-back" spikes from the motor. You can prevent reverse polarity either with a protective diode in parallel with the LED or one inserted in series. I prefer the shunt diode for reverse polarity protection, since it limits the reverse voltage to about 0.7 V DC.

davenn, OBW0549 and shrtrnd like this.
  3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I second hevans1944's advice. Your LEDs are probably failing due to excessive current. Possibly voltage spikes from the motor operation/circuitry itself. Electrically isolate your LEDs better.

OBW0549 and Barry white like this.
  4. Barry white

Barry white

Jun 2, 2017
    Thanks guys.

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi Bary
    welcome to EP :)

as others have said it is rubbish
    I use 1000's of LEDS in equip I build for sale ... have never burnt LED's in, have never heard of such a thing and have never had any failures

Dave

Ask a Question