Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED Bouncy Ball circuit

brig

Oct 25, 2015
Hi all,

I am searching for a LED Bouncy Ball circuit. I checked sites like circuitscout.com but couldn't find anything.
Does one of you know a good source?

Thanks a lot!

- Brig

LED-Bouncy-Balls_20090612924.jpg

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir Brig . . . . .

Mamma Mia . . .and you wanna to BUILD an item that retails for two dollah fiffy cents ?

CONCEPT:

Bouncy Balls Patent . . . . .
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20150038274.pdf

PHYSICAL BREAKDOWN:

Innards of a Bouncy Ball . . . . .
http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae415.cfm

SIMPLIFIED VARIANT:

Hand build the coil spring / with a close clearance internal contact rod for mechanical impact sensing . . .the initial activation dee-vice.

They say . . .

When you bounce the ball spring starts vibrating and in "most" cases it touches the middle rod
. . . (MOST ? ? ? ? ? ? ?)
This establishes the contact that the " microchip" starts flashing the LEDs.

Simplify

" the use of a microchip" to making a simple series timed power switch by using the Drain- Source of a
2N7000 FET . . .a . .la . . . . . .

Bouncy%20Ball%20Circuit.png~original

73's de Edd

brig

Oct 25, 2015
Amazing! Thank you so much for your help.
I created the circuit with one LED. The LED is lightning up and fades away(depending on the capacitor) but it didn't start flashing on/off. Is that right or did I do something wrong?

Again thank you so much!

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir Brig . . . . .

You just neglected to use the specified flashing LED(s) which is constructed with its mere fly speck size flashing electronics aspect being included inside of the same plastic domed LED case...
While you have that conventional LED installed, you might give the unit a shake to start the LED and then lay aside to see how long the FET needs to time out.
Which is what would happen, if the kiddos have tired out . . . .or ADD'd out . . . . of playing with the unit, and then it just shuts itself off after the charge on C1 has been bled down by R1 until the voltage hold on threshold of Q1 gate has occurred.

Might as well check the specs and get the very BRIGHTEST flashing LED that you can find . . . for an optimal enhanced effect !

Some LED's these days are downright blinding !

The rest of the story . . . . .
Way back in '68 . . . . . . some 45 years ago . . . .I made a bipolar Sziklai / Darlington combo *** version of this auto time out circuit. . . . . . . . . .*** ( Since Power FET's weren't exactly " in " back in those times. )
It was what I used on my Hexacon soldering station to stop the oxidizing and fouling up of its quite pricey soldering tips.

A Push Button start up switch was being equivalent to your "shock / jar / motion" detector and a power relays coil was your " LED".

Another spring lever Microswitch, in parallel with the PB switch, was mechanically linked into a two part , side by side, metal clam shell contrivance, that surrounded the soldering iron when you placed it into its small holder channel.

Sooooooo . . . . . . . if I was using the iron, and kept it in movement between work and the holder , it continually re timed the circuit.
Then, when I left it dormant, it just timed out and shut down my station.

No more tip problems.

Thasssit . . . .

73's de Edd