Connect with us

LED ammeter circuit

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by vinod chandran, Nov 17, 2012.

1. vinod chandran

vinod chandran

Jun 21, 2011
    Hi all,
    Is it possible to make a LED ammeter ?. Like the LM3914 voltmeter, this ammeter should have some LEDs and first LED will glow when the load consume 50mA. And the second will glow for 100mA, third led for 200mA. and so on. Does anybody have a circuit for this?.

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    I havent seen it done
    used as a Voltmeter ... yes, so measuring the Voltage drop across a shunt resistance that the current would be flowing through would probably be the way to go :)

Dave

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    What Dave said.

Typically you' might use an op-amp to amplify the voltage across a shunt resistor and feed that to the input of a 3914.

4. vinod chandran

vinod chandran

Jun 21, 2011
    Hi,
    Thank you davenn and steve. Could you please draw me a circuit of your idea?.

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    have you looked at the datasheet for the chip there are lots of various examples there?, sure to be one that only needs slight modification

Dave

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  6. gorgon

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
    You could use the ina139 to monitor the current and then the 3914 to display it.

7. vinod chandran

vinod chandran

Jun 21, 2011
    Hi gorgon Thank you. Let me try.

8. vinod chandran

vinod chandran

Jun 21, 2011
    Hi davenn,
    Yes i do. Let me try. Thanks.

9. benneally

benneally

Nov 30, 2013
    Hello,

I was just wondering if you managed to acheive this? I am also looking to make a simple 'visual' ammeter by using a scale of LEDs.

I would be very keen to hear of your efforts!

Cheers

Ben

10. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You could have a look at something like this. The device I have linked to generates a voltage which varies by 185mV per amp.

This voltage is generated without a significant series resistance, so there is a far lower voltage drop. You can use thi voltage (possibly amplified using an op-amp) to be the input of something like an LM3914 (or you could use a microcontroller) and produce the display you require.

Ask a Question