Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Learning C language

Baxter Burgundy

Nov 18, 2014
Hello there everyone

I'm soon to be starting my final module for a distance learning electronics course, and for this module I am going to have to learn C language. I have never done any kind of programming before and I don't think it's something I will take to easily. So I would like to get a head start now and start trying to get my head around it.

Can anyone recommend a good book to learn C language for complete beginners?

Baxter Burgundy

Nov 18, 2014
I haven't looked at any tutorials, I thought I would ask here first to try and find out the best place to look for my level.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi Baxter,
I have 'The Complete Idiots Guide To C++'.
It is very good, but books don't speak to me or answer questions if I get stuck.
I prefer watching hands on Youtube videos and guides. I find it's easier (for me) to see something rather than read.
As already stated, the online guides and communities are of much more help to me.

Martin

Baxter Burgundy

Nov 18, 2014
Ok thanks, are there any particular online guides or youtube authors you would recommend?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
To be honest no..
The reason I say that is because everybody has a different learning curve and can understand things differently.
What works for me may not work for you.
I would suggest you spend two hours looking at different videos and see which ones you like the format of.
Some are very very basic which is good for me, others are quite in-depth which I don't have the aptitude for.

Martin

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Hi Baxter. I was curious about the course you are taking. Would you recommend it? What is the name of it if you don't mind me asking?

Baxter Burgundy

Nov 18, 2014
@chopnhack I'm doing a Bsc in electronic engineering, it's part time distance learning. I would definitily recommend the course if you are looking for that kind of thing. There are lots of institutions that offer this kind of learning.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
@chopnhack I'm doing a Bsc in electronic engineering, it's part time distance learning. I would definitily recommend the course if you are looking for that kind of thing. There are lots of institutions that offer this kind of learning.
I did look around this morning at a few, some where absolutely exorbitant here in the US, charging anywhere from $500-$1000+ per credit hour with one program at 164 credit hours!!

A little rich for my hobbyist blood to say the least. I hope you had better pricing with your school!

Baxter Burgundy

Nov 18, 2014
I did look around this morning at a few, some where absolutely exorbitant here in the US, charging anywhere from $500-$1000+ per credit hour with one program at 164 credit hours!!

A little rich for my hobbyist blood to say the least. I hope you had better pricing with your school!

My school is in the UK, this side of the Atlantic is considerably cheaper by an order of magnitude and then some. If you think having an engineering degree would be advantageous to you, then perhaps you should see if employers in the US will recognize a qualification earned in the UK. All the assignments and learning is done via email, you have to attend a few exams, but there is provision for these to be taken internationally at the college of your choice.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
That is quite interesting Baxter and I wish you well on your studies.
I am a hobbyist, I am not sure if I would change my career path, but if the cost is not too high, I would consider following a curriculum to learn more.
Can you post the school you attend or privately link me? I did a search using terms of BSC electrical engineer uk online as well as distance, but did not find much.

Thanks again.

Baxter Burgundy

Nov 18, 2014
That is quite interesting Baxter and I wish you well on your studies.
I am a hobbyist, I am not sure if I would change my career path, but if the cost is not too high, I would consider following a curriculum to learn more.
Can you post the school you attend or privately link me? I did a search using terms of BSC electrical engineer uk online as well as distance, but did not find much.

Thanks again.
Here's a link for a similar course to mine at the university of portsmouth http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/engineering/beng-hons-electronic-systems-engineering-3-year-dl/
I actually study at the university of South Wales but looking at their website the course I'm doing doesn't seem to be on there.

But that said if you're just doing it as a hobby I probably wouldn't bother. I'm doing it just for that tick in the box of having a degree and the doors that will open, I don't actually feel like I'm a better or more knowledgeable engineer than I was when I started.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Here's a link for a similar course to mine at the university of portsmouth http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/engineering/beng-hons-electronic-systems-engineering-3-year-dl/
I actually study at the university of South Wales but looking at their website the course I'm doing doesn't seem to be on there.

But that said if you're just doing it as a hobby I probably wouldn't bother. I'm doing it just for that tick in the box of having a degree and the doors that will open, I don't actually feel like I'm a better or more knowledgeable engineer than I was when I started.

There seems to be a disconnect between the theoretical and the applied. I took a MIT course 6.002 circuits and electronics that was deeply theoretical. Hard to keep up with... Thanks for all the information, and yes, the course you linked was orders of magnitudes cheaper!! LOL
Thanks again mate.