Connect with us

LeapPad2 off the Lilly (backlight)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by varontron, Sep 15, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. varontron

varontron

Sep 15, 2013
    Hi,

I have a LeapFrog LeapPad2 which took a bath. After the mandatory rice bag ceremony everything appears to be in order except the backlight. I'm a newb, but I've repaired an iPhone 3GS backlight with a 6r8(?) coil, so:

1) am I correct to assume a new coil will fix this backlight problem
    2) in the pics at the links there are ostensibly three coils visible: 2 labeled "2R2 U" and 1 labeled "220".

http://imgur.com/Aj01549,vuTPvt7#0
    http://imgur.com/Aj01549,vuTPvt7#1

Is it possible to determine from the photos, or some other method, which coil is responsible for the backlight, and where can these replacement coils be found (assuming again this would solve it.)

Google points me to a "220" for an HTC backlight, but the printing is different:
    http://www.gultek.eu/htc-spare-parts/ic/one-x-charging-220-coil.html

Any insiight you can provide will be most helpful!

Thanks,
    Dave

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The problem could be any number of things. I would not initially suspect the inductor.

What is the fault? Does the backlight not come on at all?

3. varontron

varontron

Sep 15, 2013
    Hi,

Correct. The backlight does not come on at all. The audio and touchscreen capabilities appear to be fully functional.

I can interact with the device to a point where visuals are necessary: power on, listen to intro and prompts, log in by touching an account name on the dark screen, then randomly choose an activity, and then...you kind of have to be able to see.

Dave

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Do you know if the backlight is LED or CCFL? From the lack of any high voltage section, I'm going with LED.

See if you can find the connections to the backlight and measure the voltage across it. Then see where these wires come from and look around to see if there is any damage.

5. goldfist

goldfist

Sep 18, 2013
    Assuming the device may have been powered on when it took the plunge, do you have any electrolysis anywhere that would point out where a leg or trace may be eaten away causing an open circuit.

If this device was left wet with batteries in it, it could have eaten itself while you waited for it to dry up with rice treatment. Were the batteries removed from the device while it sat in the rice treatment to extract the water?

Water doesnt hurt electronics if wet and dried quick enough to avoid oxidation, but if there is electricity present it causes an ugly mess to the circuitry.

Ask a Question