Maker Pro
Maker Pro

leap pad power on

daddyfixitquick

Dec 29, 2011
hi I was hoping someone can help me.
my daughter got a leap pad from santa. As it had gone through about four sets of AAs and we were fresh out my wife decided to try to plug it in but used an old phone charger that had an output of 5 V Dc . Naturally this didn't work and when we eventually put in new batteries it wont power on. Is there an easy fix? or even a hard fix that doesn]t involve putting it in the bin?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Perhaps you can start by telling us what the correct voltage for the external power pack is.

It is possible that the polarity was wrong. You need to look closely at both the device and the charger you used and see if the both say where +ve should be. If they are different then that may be an issue.

What is a leap pad?

Depending how old the old phone charger was, the output voltage may have been poorly regulated. Does it list a single input voltage (say 220V) or does it list a range (say 100 to 250 volts)?

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
from the little research i have seen leap pad is a learning tablet like an ipad designed for kids

anyway i went ebaying and it seems that there are at least 2 different plugpacks available for different models of this item. a 9v and a 6v. we made need the model number to help ascertain the right one.

i just googled power supply for leap pad and found someone else asking about a plugpack for it here on our forums.https://www.electronicspoint.com/help-leappad-mains-adaptor-t242322.html

daddyfixitquick

Dec 29, 2011
steve
my apologies the correct voltage should have been 9v 700mA
I have checked the adapter and note that there is not an issue with reverse polarity however it is rated at input 100V -240V with an output of 5V and 2A.
As donkey has stated A leap pad is basically an I-Pad for kids.
any help would be appreciated.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Very odd. Normally a lower voltage is not going to do any damage, and the input voltage range suggests that it is a switchmode supply, and therefore probably very well regulated.