Connect with us

Lead Acid battery

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by KellyClarksonTV, Jun 29, 2004.

  1. a few days ago I was charging a 12-volt 7AH battery when a wire came loose and
    short circuited it. The wire became very hot and the insulator around it
    melted. It was so hot I couldn't disconnect it. Fortunately, the heat
    eventaully ate through the wire and cut it.

    Has anyone had any experience with things like that?
     
  2. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Go back to the NitroGlycerine that i recommended.
     
  3. Art

    Art Guest

    Had a friend who bought a new Ford Wrecker (Tow Truck) completely set up
    with the dual batteries, additional suspension, etc. The company that
    manufacture it installed a nice rubber coated push bar on the front of the
    truck. One of the amentias of it being a service vehicle (Tow Truck) was
    self contained "Jumper Wires" with heavy duty clamps to allow easy
    recharging and jump starting of other vehicles.
    Situation is the clamps were loosely attached to the top of the rubber
    coated push bar on the front of the vehicle. This made them easily
    assessable while on the service calls. The truck was brand new and my friend
    of course took it to his business and parked it inside his garage for the
    evening. A couple of hours later his wife called him and stated the garage
    was on fire, including the new Ford Tow Truck.
    Time passed and the investigation was done, they found that the rubber
    around the push bumper was to light to hold up to the clamps pressure. That
    the current from the charging system, batteries, etc had caused the new
    jumper wires to catch fire, then the vehicle, then the garage. The
    manufacturer& modifier of the truck, for Towing Service Applications, via
    their appropriate insurance companies, finally reimbursed my friend for his
    loss. Of course, less their flippin cut.
     
  4. The idea is to have proper and safe connections to batteries,
    chargers, and the load. Batteries, with a short circuit, can put out a
    lot of current.

    A short curcuited battery can be very dangerous. It is possible to
    have a fire, or even have the battery explode!

    If you are not sure of what you are doing, pay a professional to set
    things up for you.

    Jerry G.
     
  5. Karl Uppiano

    Karl Uppiano Guest

    The original poster *likes* to have his batteries explode! Based on his
    other posts, he spends his days looking for new ways to misuse batteries. If
    he just has just a passion for knowledge, he should look into some chemistry
    courses, and put his energy to better use.
     
  6. At least I am glad, I don't have to pay his insurance policies! Also,
    anyone that lives with him should move out!

    Jerry G.
    ========
     
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day

-