Connect with us

LDR or phototransistor?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Asdferas, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Asdferas

Asdferas

Oct 28, 2012
    I am working on an azimuth, single-axis solar tracker for my end-of-year school project and I am still unsure whether to use phototransistors or LDRs as sensors for it. I have read that phototransistors are quite faster to respond to changes in light and since it is light intensity that will vary rather than the actual presence and disappearing of the light itself, I am leaning more towards phototransistors. However if anyone has any insight or more informative links, I greatly appreciate it.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The sun tends not to move through the sky quickly, and neither will your tracker need to move very quickly.

You can probably use either with no real advantages or disadvantages from a "speed of response" perspective.

3. Asdferas

Asdferas

Oct 28, 2012
    That is what I was thinking but I was unsure since not much information is given about them other than one is faster than the other. I thought maybe there was something to it. Since it is a demonstration project I am going to program the microcontroller to take a sampling ratio over a one minute reading every two minutes so still probably either one would be enough. Thank you :)

Ask a Question