Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LDR Controlled Servo

nedwards1980

Jul 13, 2017
Hey all, I am struggling to get my head around this and how to make it work...FYI i'm pretty damn new to all this...

I basically want to make a servo activate when the LDR senses light and have it all run from a 9v battery. I know I have to knock the 9v down to 5v to run the servo but am struggling to get something to work that is compact and neat....help?!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
A simple 7805 regulator will drop 9V to 5V quite happily using a very common and easily obtainable part.
Consider using the LDR as part of a PWM circuit (using a 555 timer) such that varying light levels will adjust the position of the servo.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Usually when there is talk of running a 9 v battery, reference is to a small smoke alarm type. If this is the case here then forget it. The servo will require at some stage perhaps upwards of 1 amp and your little supply is not up to the job. Sure you might get it to move but at some stage the process will come back and cause problems so best get used to that from the start. Many ways to run the servo with an ldr as a sensor but you have to use the ldr to generate the signal that the servo requires. One easy way is with a micro controller such as an Arduino and there is plenty of info on their site to do exactly this application.