Connect with us

LCD TV repair. Momentary backlight

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Qualcomm_inside!, Feb 26, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Qualcomm_inside!

Qualcomm_inside!

Jan 27, 2017
    Quick question,
    I have an old 720p 20" LCD TV that I was given. It is from 2005 and it is a Protron PLTV-20NS30. The problem with the set is has no backlight, however there is video on the LCD. When I press the Source key on the control panel I get a weak momentary backlight and i can see the video source; then backlight goes out.
    I can hear something rattling around inside when I move the set, as well as the Ant coax plug is yanked out do is m suspecting the TV might have taken a fall.

I have not taken the back apart so I do not know if the CFL tubes are cracked or not but even in worse case I know the LCD is intact and at least one of the tubes is working. What are my chances of fixing this? Can I find these lamp tubes if I need them without buying the whole panel??

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The first thing is that if something is rattling around inside, don't apply power. If it's a piece of plastic it probably won't do any harm, but if it's metal it can potentially leave a new fault wherever it lands while power is applied.

Qualcomm_inside! likes this.
  3. Qualcomm_inside!

Qualcomm_inside!

Jan 27, 2017
    Good point.
    Haha I just assumed it was glass or a piece of plastic., The person who gave me the TV had it working when I saw it, the sound worked but no video/ backlight

Ask a Question