Connect with us

LCD TV not displaying image

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Webchuzz, Jun 25, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Webchuzz

Webchuzz

Jun 25, 2011
    Hello everyone.

I have a 32" LCD TV (Mitsai) which has been working fine until yesterday.
    A small storm passed by my town and then a massive thunder caused the lights to go out. When power returned, this is how the TV behaves when trying to power it on:

I click the power button on the remote, wait for the TV to startup and then comes the problem... The screen shows the picture only for few milisseconds, then powers off (only the screen, not the TV itself, that stays on).

I assume that the thunder was the one to blame, so I opened the TV (which is no longer covered by warranty, as it is 4 years old) and checked for any burnt parts.

So, I noticed what I think it is a capacitor/condenser, which is swollen and has a little cut on the body.

I'm pretty sure it is the capacitor's fault but I searched all the web and I don't understand it's capacitance value and voltage.

It is a red/orange capacitor, radial shape and it has this written on its body: BC 15n J 850Vp-p 375 KP/KMP ST7

I'm hoping you guys can help me out finding its capacitance so I can buy a similar one and have my TV back to work again.

Thanks in advance.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Is it an LCD TV?

Have a look very closely at the screen (you may need a torch). Is there still a visible picture there?

One possibility is that the backlight has failed. If so, the image is still there, but the light behind it which makes it visible has gone off..

Another possibility is that the screen (or driver) itself has failed or been disabled. In this case you will still see the glow from the backlight but the screen will be totally black.

It is possible (but less likely) that both are not working..

Anything is possible, but I think the lightning was more likely the culprit ;)

3. jmotion

jmotion

Jul 25, 2011
    If you look up the board number on line im sure you can find a PCB assembly or a schematic for that board. Worse case scenario google that board and find the manufacturer. Call them up and let them know your problem im sure they will assist you.

jmotion

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2011
  4. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    That part sounds like an MOV transient suppressor. Photos would help.

Ask a Question