Connect with us

LCD Touch Panel Adaptation?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Axel87, Mar 27, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Axel87

Axel87

Aug 18, 2012
    Back again!
    Hoping to gain a little more knowledge from the wiser folks out there!
    I work at a shop that services printing equipment and the like, and have access to scrap touch panels.
    My question is- How difficult would it be to use these panels for other projects?
    Would I be looking at modifying hardware? Writing some new code? Maybe I can use the GUI that is on the card, just modify the In/outs?
    From my understanding, most of these are split into 2 sections- the panel itself, what appears to be a controller card. This card has inputs for a numerical keypad and other buttons.
    I have just started working with Picaxe controllers, and thought maybe someday these panels could come in handy for a project.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks again!

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    It all depends upon the panel and how well documented the driver circuit is or if you can find a compatible driver circuit...

Some are well documented, others you might as well scrap as it's not worth your time...

3. Axel87

Axel87

Aug 18, 2012
    These touch panels have nice color and are a good size.
    Id hate to just pitch them. I would assume a quality touch panel like this would be costly

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    How big and what is the resolution? Remember you can get entire 7" or so Android tablets now with touch screens for about $75 delivered from China... Documented 7" color LCD screens with driver boards can be had for $50 or so...

Ask a Question