Connect with us

LCD screen power circuitry

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Kantas, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Kantas

Kantas

Aug 14, 2011
    Hi all,

I'm fairly new to electronics, just finished my first year at the local college for Electronics and computer engineering Technology.

i happened to "win" an LCD screen, the upside, i get to play with an LCD screen yay!! the downside is i had to reverse engineer the whole thing.... cause i couldn't find any documentation on the screen. so now that i've successfully figured out how to turn it on, and work with it, etc. i need to start getting a power circuit designed for it.

the LCD screen is the Sanyo DG0648, 64 x 480 resolution. good luck at finding datasheets etc. if you choose to look for them, at best you'll find the driver IC's Datasheets. but the pinout for the connection was a royal PITA.

so, i've got the Screen to turn on, right now the PSU i'm using is an old enermax computer PSU, i need to use it's +5V line to power both the LCD logic, and the PIC MICRO 18F4685 microcontroller that i'm going to use to control this LCD. and i'm using the -12V line to power the LCD, because according to the Driver IC's on the LCD they require a voltage differential of 8 - 20 V all told. so in order to power the LCD i need a +5V line for logic, and anywhere from a -3V to -15V supply for the LCD power.

so, i'm sure most of you can appreciate that lugging around an old computer PSU would be a bit bulky for a small LCD screen. so i'm curious if i can use a 12V supply from a transformer, and turn that 12V into +5 and -5 V supplies?

i figure it "should" be easy enough, using a +5V regulator, and a -5V regulator IC... but i'm a little stumped as to how they would be wired in the circuit to provide me the power i require...

any assistance would be much appreciated, and if you have any other questions feel free, i 'should' be online for a while.... i'll probably be browsing this forum for a while cause electronics are kind of interesting :D

Kantas

2. lalalandrus

lalalandrus

Feb 4, 2013
    Were you able to get the screen working?

3. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    The high voltage is typically for the backlight only which will usually consist of a bunch of LEDs in series. The biggest worry is making that voltage available and limiting the current - especially if its one of those paper thin connectors

Ask a Question