Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Latching relay for headlight

KLR

Apr 30, 2015
I need to find out what relay to use and how to connect it to do the following:

This is a on a Kawasaki motorcycle 12v system.......

Turn on ign, key, the headlight will NOT come on, until the Hi/Lo beam switch is used, after which either position will continue to work until the ign, is turned off.

Notes: There are seperate relays for high and low beam (single bulb), there is also other 12v power available that is activated when ign is turned on if needed.

This should go between the actual bulb (3 prong) and its socket.

Please send any solutions, I put in the relays myself but have no real electrical engineering skills, I will be able to assemble without any problems as long as I understand directions/diagrams.

I saw one for sale online somewhere, just want a project to do, the only real function in the end is isolating as much amperage as possible to start the bike.

Thanks for reading,
JIm

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
1430424751641.jpg How about this? Turn on ignition and your light is off, then cycle your high beam switch and headlight is latched on until ign is switched off.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Second thought, problem with my circuit is the high beams would stay on when it latches.
As a workaround, You could either use the low beam position of switch, or add a nc contact inline with the high beam switch, or add a blocking diode with the cathode side connected to the relay coil.

Last edited: