Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Last night...

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
no I havent

Huey Lewis and the News are close to falling into that set of bands/artists that I only like a few songs from, you could count the number of tracks of theirs that appeal to me on one hand ;)

I was pleased to see Alan Parsons on your list, for me, his The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot, is my fav. album

D

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Foreigner (A major set of lungs..powerful!)
Styx (large orchestra sound)
Boston (ditto)
Allman Brothers (southern rock)
Derick & The Domino's
Clapton (Extreme Guitar!)

Chris

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Huey Lewis and the News are close to falling into that set of bands/artists that I only like a few songs from, you could count the number of tracks of theirs that appeal to me on one hand ;)
I know what you mean, but I would never say that about Huey Lewis and the News. I think some of their earlier stuff was so-so, but I just love each band member and the sound they make. Partly it's because their greatest albums coincide with my early to mid teenage years, when we all cement our musical tastes I think.
I was pleased to see Alan Parsons on your list, for me, his The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot, is my fav. album
That was my first Alan Parsons album. I always loved Don't Let It Show. But they've done a lot of great stuff since then - the Try Anything Once and On Air albums are packed with great songs and great performances, IMO.

Foreigner (A major set of lungs..powerful!)
I'm with you there. Very powerful songs too.
Styx (large orchestra sound)
I'm not very familiar with them, but what I know, I like.
Boston (ditto)
Allman Brothers (southern rock)
Derick & The Dominos
A little before my time :-(
Clapton (Extreme Guitar!)
Again slightly before my time, but a great player with great songs too.

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
I'm listening to Stockhausen's "Helikopter-Streichquartett". It sounds like a string quartet playing randomly, accompanied by a helicopter, and a vocalist saying weird sh!t. Seriously.

I quote from the Wikipedia article:

"The rehearsals were already marked by objections from the orchestral musicians questioning such directions as 'glissandos no faster than one octave per minute' and others phoning the artists union to clarify whether they really had to perform the Stockhausen work as part of the orchestra. In the backstage warm-up room at the premiere a hand-lettered sign could be seen saying: 'We're playing, otherwise we would be fired'. During the premiere the parts on some music stands suddenly were replaced by placards reading things like 'Stockhausen-Zoo. Please don't feed', that someone had planted. Some musicians, fed up with the monkeyshines, left after an hour, though the performance was planned for four to five hours."

"Stockhausen fans protested, while Stockhausen foes were needling the musicians asking: 'How can you possibly participate in such crap?' At one point someone managed to switch off the stand lights, leaving the musicians in the dark. After 260 minutes the performance ended with nobody participating any more."

And it's 31 minutes long. I'm sorry, but I don't consider it music. It may use conventional instruments, but clearly, that doesn't make it musical! Sorry poor mystic... I can't dance to that!

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
"Well you cain't win 'em all", and I'm not so sure I've been winning any lately. Kris' opinion of Stockhausen is pretty close to the consensus.

A dance party on an sufficiently small asteroid might well allow the kind of evolutions wanted to gracefully accompany these octave/minute glissandos. It would take a high level of concentration, strength, and near no-mindedness(!), to dance to such sounds on Earth.

I have wondered whether the sensations felt by those listening to Beethoven (say, or Stockhausen) could have been felt before the master invented them. Do musicians sometimes add to the range of feeling available to us?

Mark Twain admired Wagner thus: "His music is a lot better than it sounds".

:cool:

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
LOL!

Well, I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion, and what works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa.

I've just been listening to "She's Got It Bad" by Simply Red, and that's a perfect example of what works for me. But like any preference, preference in music is a complicated beast, and like everyone else, I can only say that I like what I like.

The popularity of other styles proves that other people appreciate different qualities in music, and apart from strong "aural preception" (the ability to distinguish musical intervals and harmonies), there's nothing about me that makes my opinion any more or less valid than anyone else's.

I'm a bass player - part of the rhythm section, so I like music with a "groove that makes you move". That generally means a drummer, and preferably a funky or groovy one. I'm also a simple, practical person. So abstract music, like abstract paintings, by themselves, mean nothing to me.

Regarding the question of whether an artist can create _new_ feelings in their audience, I think it's possible. For me, many artists have created music that makes me feel things I've never felt before. I guess I've always been _able_ to feel that feeling, but that feeling had not yet been activated. I'm not sure whether that's a "yes" or a "no" answer to your question!

I love the Mark Twain quote. I've also heard Wagner's music described as having "wonderful moments... and awful half-hours" :)

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
I'm listening to Stockhausen's "Helikopter-Streichquartett". It sounds like a string quartet playing randomly, accompanied by a helicopter, and a vocalist saying weird sh!t. Seriously.

Kris, that's funny stuff! I'm glad I haven't had the misfortune of hearing them.

Since we're giving our opinions this is my chance to shout this out..

Rap is crap! It's not music and it's not poetry. It's a vulgar venue to enable talentless, pants on the ground, thugs, who would otherwise be jacking cars, to call themselves, ... excuse me I'm gagging, .. artists!

Rap and abstract art have a commonality. They were both created for the same reasons. No talent? No problem. :rolleyes:

Chris

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
LOL Chris :)

I'm not a fan of rap either. A lot of it is pointless boasting, and I fail to see why anyone would pay money to hear some dickhead talking about how fantastic he is and how many hos he's ****ed. Some, I think, has merit, but would be better written down.

I once bought a CD single of a popular song, "You Might Need Somebody" by Shola Ama, a remake of a Randy Crawford song from the eighties, because I liked the groove. The CD included a "rap version", which consisted of the song with some guy just talking over the top of it during the gaps between the singing, and making "uhhh, uhhh" noises. Honestly, it was just the audible equivalent of tagging on buildings - taking something attractive and useful, and plastering a boring, irrelevant, talentless mess onto it. Actually, graffiti is better - some of it is quite stunning visually, I think, and takes a lot of talent. Most rap... doesn't, IMO.

Speaking of abstract art, I recall a quote: "Abstract art? A product of the talentless, sold by the unprincipled, to the utterly bewildered."

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
LOL Chris :)

Speaking of abstract art, I recall a quote: "Abstract art? A product of the talentless, sold by the unprincipled, to the utterly bewildered."

Oh wow! I have to commit this quote to memory! ;)

Before I forget ( I do that a lot) has Journey been mentioned yet? Talk about big lungs and superior voice! Pulmonarious Maximus! Yes, I make up my own adjectives. My goal is to someday be named the father of abstract literature. ... I hope the title isn't taken. :rolleyes:

Chris

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
Well I'd better make sure I got it right! Actually it's "untalented", not "talentless".

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/70.html

Right, Journey and Foreigner are kind of interchangeable, I think. Also, from the same period and in the same style, Toto.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Well I'd better make sure I got it right! Actually it's "untalented", not "talentless".

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/70.html

Right, Journey and Foreigner are kind of interchangeable, I think. Also, from the same period and in the same style, Toto.

Ha, that's why I've been mixing them up all these years!

For a taste of Boston:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SSR6ZzjDZ94

As you can see I like voices and music that rocks me but I think that anyone who has a few years on the odometer will not be a one trick pony. In fact, and I know this is going to evoke hiss - boos, but I love Country, Sinatra, Soundtracks to musicals, Abe Maria (not the Japanese teen idol) and BAGPIPES!! Go figure? :D

Chris

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Hey, sorry for consecutive posting but I had to pass this link along.

https://www.electronicspoint.com/adding-leds-art-t260739.html#post1554349

In light of our conversation regarding abstract art please make note of the statement within the parentheses. This is a new member so it would have been very poor manners on my part to blurt out a knee jerk response to that question. Unfortunately I couldn't resist sharing it.

Hey, I think there's a break in the monsoons, so me and the wife are saddling up!

Chris

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
If I were a bass player I'd probably spend a lot of my life learning to do that stuff on "Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes".