Connect with us

Last night...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Members Lounge' started by (*steve*), Feb 10, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Guess who I saw...?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Was it Elvis Presley?

3. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    He made me feel like dancin'

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Richard Simmons [​IMG]

5. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Yes, but before this guy can eat he has to dance like Fred Astaire!

6. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    It's Leo Sayer. How's his voice holding up?

"You Make Me Feel Like Dancing"

"Long Tall Glasses"

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  7. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    I'm so glad someone spotted it before I had to give it all away.

His voice is holding up pretty darn well (does he sound like he did in the 1970's? No... But neither do most of us :D). He's also a good showman and really personable. The sound guys there had only good things to say about him (both professionally and personally).

I was surprised that so few people lined up to have a chat to him. The roadies said that he would always stay around until the last person had left, so it wasn't like you were going to miss out.

But then, I'm just a young and eager fan... You know the type... :D

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  8. hdayejr

hdayejr

May 31, 2013
    He kinda looks like Howard Stern in a way

9. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Yeah Steve, that brings back good memories. I wasn't a big disco fan but if no one was looking I'd be tapping my feet to that song. ;)

Speaking of videos, I damn near fell off my chair when I saw this video of Procol Harum's "Lighter Shade Of Pale".

Whenever this tune is on the radio I crank up the volume. I never did understand what he was singing about but it had such a unique, somewhat mournful sound, it has a strong draw. Seeing these guys in the vid was an image I wasn't prepared for. :eek:

Here he is with a full orchestra in 2006.

This is the image I had all those years. He just needed to catch up! BTW, he sounds even better here.

Chris

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  10. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Chris, thanks for those links! I'm a big fan of that song. There's something special about the slow chord progressions on the organ that I can't explain.

The simplicity of the song reminds me of 'Baby Can I Hold You' by Tracy Chapman. Not similar in style at all, but similarly beautiful in its simplicity.

I agree with you, Gary Brooker sounds better at age 61 than he did at 22 when the original was recorded. So clear and note-perfect.

If you're interested, he also gave a great vocal performance on a song called Limelight from the Alan Parsons Project album called Stereotomy from 1985. If you would like an MP3, PM me an email address.

Thanks again for the links and the reminder :)

11. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Kris, thanks for the offer. I'll PM you. In the interim Steve's posting of Leo Sayer's video sent me on a YouTube quest for two other works that couldn't be more divergent from each other. First up is (in my opinion) the most profound, provocative, compelling, foreboding and downright disturbing but brilliant tune ever put to lyrics.

In the year 2525 (Zanger & Evans)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=izQB2-Kmiic

The second on Chris's hit parade is this little ditty that's the antithesis of 2525. This one makes you want to say "Honey do ya want to go out and dance like when we were dating"? This is a 'T' totally happy and youthful toe tapper. Even if you're as old as dirt it will make you feel young! :D

Rhythm Of The Night by De Barge.

I love the Latin flavor of this but that could be because of where I live. Everyone enjoy!

Chris

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  12. KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
    Thanks for the pointers Chris :)

I'm not a huge fan of "In the year 2525", but I agree with you about "Rhythm of the Night". I've always liked the energy, the uplifting feel, and the rhythmic tightness of that song. Some people perhaps think that dance music is a bit shallow - perhaps because the lyrics aren't deep and meaningful - but I believe that music should make you _feel_ something, and feeling energised and positive is a feeling as valid as any other. I'm a bass player myself and I love music with a groove - something that makes you want to move to the rhythm, whether it's just a gentle sway, like you get from blues, or the energetic movement you get from disco! Personally, I think that music that fails to cause that response is lacking something important. I'm referring to thrash metal (head-banging doesn't count), some synth-pop, dubstep... Anything without a human "feel" or groove just doesn't do it for me :)

13. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    You guys (Kris & Chris) have musical tastes that overlap much of mine; I have all of the Alan Parsons works, etc. so you might like to see a YouTube playlist of stuff I've been listening to over the past year or two as my musical horizons have continued to broaden.

KJ6EAD channel (Excellent Music Videos playlist)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAA16F98265DEFBDB

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  14. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    I play jazz on my guitar but also like dubstep and really filthy dirty drum'n'bass. What fun! Stockhausen does good things to me, too, among uncountable others.

15. KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
    KJ6EAD, thanks for the pointer. I will check it out when my monthly data allocation comes round :-/

poor mystic, I'm grabbing some Stockhausen now to check out. I hope it isn't too... weird! In my high school music class, one of the pieces we studied was by a Polish composer called Penderecki. It sounded like an orchestra tuning up for 15 minutes!

As long as we're sharing, here's a list of some of my favourite artists. If anyone would like a sample of any artist to listen to, please PM me an email address, the name(s) of the artist(s), and any of their songs that you know you like/dislike, and I'll send you some MP3s to sample.

Adams, Oleta - soul
    Ambrosia - prog rock (80s)
    Baker, Anita - soul
    Beethoven (I like all his piano stuff)
    Brand New Heavies - funk
    Dobbyn, Dave and D D Smash (New Zealand artist) - pop, jazz
    Hornsby, Bruce and the Range - piano pop/ballad
    Joel, Billy
    Kershaw, Nik - pop
    King, Carole - folk-pop
    Lewis, Huey and the News - jazz-pop
    Little River Band - pop
    Mo', Keb' - pop-blues - probably my favourite artist!
    Parsons, Alan - prog rock
    Rea, Chris - pop
    Sade - pop-soul
    Setzer, Brian Orchestra - big band, yay!
    Simon, Paul - various!
    Simply Red - pop
    Steely Dan and Donald Fagen (solo) - jazz-pop - amazing sh!t!
    Supertramp - pop-rock
    Tower of Power - jazz-pop

16. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    Hey, Paul Simon! Yeah!
    How about Massive Attack? (You need good bass response., they're why I bought my Bose.) They produce such wonderful music but it is so psycho-negative.
    Sneaker Pimps: 6 Underground.
    Steely Dan have their own weird attitude I don't always like. But such arrangements, so well produced.
    And Schubert... Ave Maria; his cynical Marches Militaire, The Trout.
    Bach's Well Tempered clavier (fugues).
    Chopin; Lizst...
    I'll get some Penderecki as soon as I can - the stereo is away being (tardily) repaired right now. (I have not the vision for such work, and no longer have the gear either).
    Good thread!

Hey and I'll check out KJ6EAD's playlist as well.
    Thanks guys.

17. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Kodachrome was an up-beat toe tapper! ;)

Chris

18. KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
    Actually I mainly like his 80s stuff. One Trick Pony soundtrack - massively groovy. Steve Gadd (drummer) is amazing! And that beautiful electric piano...
    I think they're amazing. Jack of Speed (from Two Against Nature) is just SO polished and groovy!
    Nice enough, and he sure has written some classics, but I find baroque a bit boring harmonically, and very lacking in groove :)
    I LOVE the Minute Waltz! It's just so FUN! And you really can picture the dog chasing its tail (apparently what inspired the piece).
    Hey, when I said it sounded like an orchestra tuning up, that wasn't meant as a recommendation ;-)
    Yeah. I'm surprised we haven't discussed musical tastes on electronics point before. It's one of those standard subjects that everyone wants to share their opinion on - religion, politics, music. We've had plenty of discussion about skepticism (appropriate for a science-themed forum), nothing on religion per se, not much on politics. Perhaps we're working backwards :)

19. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    will cut the ones from Kris's list that I either dont like or dont know and add mine to the bottom.....

Beethoven (I like all his piano stuff)
    Dobbyn, Dave and D D Smash (New Zealand artist) - pop, jazz
    Joel, Billy
    Lewis, Huey and the News - jazz-pop
    Little River Band - pop
    Parsons, Alan - prog rock
    Simon, Paul - various!
    Simply Red - pop
    Steely Dan and Donald Fagen (solo) - jazz-pop - amazing sh!t!
    Supertramp - pop-rock

in no particular order....
    Pink Floyd
    Queen
    Rolling Stones
    Deep Purple
    Hollies
    Neil Diamond
    The Eagles
    Peter Frampton
    Elton John
    Fleetwood Mac --- Lindsay Buckingham -- one of the best guitarists ever
    CCR --- Creedence have great and easy guitar rhythm to pick up on
    a whole bunch of the 50's 60'd and 70's stuff --- gotta love the good ol' rock and roll
    Also a lot of the old classical stuff -- have my mom to thank for that
    Meatloaf
    Huey Lewis and the News
    The Who
    The Shadows -- great instrumental stuff
    Steve Miller Band

there's the solid core my my likes
    a lot of other stragglers --- ie. those that I may have only liked one or two of their tracks

top 2 rock...
    Pink Floyd and Queen
    top 2 "pop"....
    Fleetwood Mac and Neil Diamond

Dave

20. KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
    Ones from Dave's list that I'm a fan of too...

Pink Floyd - amazing, amazing guitarist!
    Queen - great songs and arrangements
    Rolling Stones - classic songs
    Eagles - ditto
    Elton John
    Fleetwood Mac - yes, another band with a great groove!
    CCR - yeah, classic rock. I've played many CCR songs in bands, and they always go down well. My favourite CCR song is Have You Ever Seen The Rain. A classic rock song!
    Meatloaf - yes, gotta love classic Jim Steinman!
    Huey Lewis and the News - yeah, a very underestimated band. All great players. Very competent. Have you heard their Small World album? From 1985. Great jazzy stuff.

Ask a Question