Connect with us

Laser Beam

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Maveric, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Maveric

Maveric

Jan 11, 2016
    Hey guys. I had an idea for a laser tag game. I'm thinking that if each gun has a receptor on it and I shoot a certain kind of laser at it will put new data on the gun. Like if I shot a laser carrying rapid fire program, when the laser hit the receptor, it would put that rapid fire data on to the gun. So I could now fire with rapid fire instead of the normal 1 shot reload system. Except I don't know what parts to buy or how to load data on to the laser. So what type of photoreceptor should I buy, what kind of laser beam,(i've never done this so I don't know if that's right or not) And how do I program the data onto the beam?

http://www.amazon.com/Waveshare-Las...qid=1452604749&sr=8-3&keywords=laser+receiver

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2016
  2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    I can't provide a parts list, but perhaps you should look at simple IR controls like TVs and VCRs have been using for years. The only difference, is instead of using omnidirectional IR LEDs, you will be using a directional laser (Or perhaps IR and optics to focus the beam).
    Each receiver will need to be programmed to associate a 'command' with the 'mode' you want to use... ie, a couple rapid pulses and the gun knows it's been requested to fire in rapid-fire.
    I would suggest against 'reprogramming' the gun in this way. Simply tell it to use mode 1, 2, 3, 4, etc... and what each mode does.

3. Maveric

Maveric

Jan 11, 2016
    Thanks Gryd3

4. Maveric

Maveric

Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2016
  5. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    You just need an LDR and a PIC chip.

6. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    Doesn't a "PIC" chip need some kind of circuit, or circuit board?

7. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2016
  8. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    @Maveric

If you start one more thread on this topic that you already have this thread active on. I will ban you
    I'm starting to get really annoyed at having to tidy up after you all the time and having to merge each of your new threads
    into your existing one

PLEASE STAY IN THIS THREAD

9. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Colin, it's a POS laser-pointer diode emitter mounted next to a photo-sensor (both unspecified) with a lens. It is intended to be used as a reflective "trip wire" sensor, reflector also unspecified. That's why the "range" is so short. It would probably work at longer distances if you could reflect the laser pointer back into the lens with a flat mirror.

10. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    I'm sure you could make it work... but I wouldn't bother with it.

Food for thought, you will NEED to be able to tell the difference between a laser and normal light. If you are using these outside, it may be difficult due to the power of the sun... That is why most IR stuff is 'modulated'. It's not just 4 simple flashes... It flashes at a specific frequency.

Anyway, you only need a detector. I would urge you to ignore Colin's comment about the LDR... They tend to have a slow response... This would be ok if the signal you send is slow enough, or if you have the time to hold the gun in-line with the laser long enough for the program to load.
    Using a photodiode or photo-transistor is quicker and would be ideal for this application, but you still need to do your best to make sure that only the laser light triggers is. (This is largely why IR is used... as it's easy to filter out IR from other light sources to prevent interference and false positives.)

davenn likes this.
  11. Pharaday

Pharaday

Jan 18, 2016
    Oh hey, think about making some kind of system whereby the fully-auto setting skips every few shots to simulate lowered accuracy, or if it's a damage or point based game, make the single shot mode give more damage\points. Otherwise, why would anyone not use the fully-auto mode? Unless every gun will only have a fully-auto mode or you just want the advantage. Ha! It is your game after all!

Gryd3 likes this.
Ask a Question