Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Laptop won't do anything.

Awesomesauce99

Sep 29, 2016
I have a laptop and I often just play on it. I was in the middle of my game when the screen froze. I tried using the power button to shut it off and the screen went dark but it is still on. I have tried to turn it off but it STILL RUNS. This was about 15 minutes ago. Can somebody help me get it shut off?

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
that sounds like overheating problem to me. If I where you I would have the air vents and fan cleaned as well as new high quality heatsink compound placed.

Awesomesauce99

Sep 29, 2016
Thank you guys! I took out the battery and got it running again. I will clean my vents and fans. Overheating is probably the cause as my laptop is about 5 years old and gets very hot very fast. Once again thanks for your ideas.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Thank you guys! I took out the battery and got it running again. I will clean my vents and fans. Overheating is probably the cause as my laptop is about 5 years old and gets very hot very fast. Once again thanks for your ideas.
Initial cleaning can be done with compressed air to dislodge and blow much of the dust and debris out of the laptop... but this is considered a 'light cleaning'.
Using compressed air in a can works great, if you use an air compressor, make sure the pressure isn't too high!
Ideally, you may want to open the laptop to give it a more thorough cleaning to make sure the fins on the heatsink are not plugged or covered in hair/fuzz of some sort. While you are in there, you may want to clean and re-apply the heat-sink compound on the CPU/GPU before you re-assemble the laptop.

This task is best suited for a clean work environment on a clear table. Look through google for a tear-down video of your specific laptop if you are unsure or concerned about doing this on your own.
There can be lots of little plugs and connectors inside, and if you are unfamiliar you can break them. They are often responsible for mouse/keyboard/display/WiFi/Webcam/Modem. If you proceed, take your time and plan for 2-3 hours worth of work so you don't have to walk away and leave it in pieces overnight.
(If you've ever had your tray of screws knocked over by a cat... you tend to always finish your work in one sitting xD )

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
I tried compressed air on a 5 year old laptop, chunks of dirt refused to budge and the laptop would shutdown at 30c room temp!

I had to remove the gpu/cpu heatsinks then remove the fan and then disassemble it, remove all the crap

Now instead of burning your leg on a cold day the heat goes out the back, 20 minute job just a load of screws

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
The IT guy at work often uses my compressed air gun to clean out laptops and PC's.
My air gun is adjustable, but pretty sure he just pulls the trigger full on. You can here the fan spin.
It is amazing how much dust comes out of some of the PC's.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
It can be incredibly quick @cjdelphi , but being unfamiliar can stretch that time out. Especially when you run into something unknown.
Your right though. With confidence in the product, proper tools and a little experience you can do it while watching an episode of 'the office'

Kiwi. Its kind of gross how much dust gets collected sometimes. I've always wondered what kind of power is generated by blowing air at those fans...

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
Don't know about power generated, but some of them sure produce quite a bit of sound energy!