Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Laptop speakers quit

jeff180

Dec 1, 2011
I have a Dell laptop about 18 months old.

I was recording an annoucement with keyboard tones and a pocket recorder input using Analog Recorder. This involved a lot of plugging and unplugging of the input jack. In the midst of doing this my speakers stopped working but the earphone jack still works.

I took it to my computer store who said it was from plugging and unplugging the earphone connection alot-- that the fault was in the mother board and it would be too costly to replace. He suggested a bullet speaker plugged into the headphone jack.

I wondered if anybody had another suggestion?

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
its possible that there is something in the headphone jack that is tricking the system into thinking that there are headphones plugged in. Try using a can of air or an air compressor and blowing out the headphone jack (make sure if using an air compressor that it wont spray any water into the jack).

My other thought is try reloading the drivers, or seeing if somehow the default sound playback device go changed, I have seen this happen before, its not that uncommon.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
my thought wasthe internal switch inside the jack. it could be as simple as replacing that part.