Maker Pro
Maker Pro

laptop power issue

neon

Oct 21, 2006
Something did not get reset at power down left power on circuits and then the only way to reset is removing the charge whatever is left there.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
but the laptop still doesn't boot unless I hold the on button for several seconds.

Is this after you short out the capacitor, or not.

It is not unusual for power switches on laptops to require being pressed for several seconds to forcefully power off the device.

Can you try the following:

1) get the PC running by any means necessary.

2) power it off by pressing and holding the power button. (how long does it take until the power is turned off?)

3) release the power button

4) press the power button briefly. Does it turn on?

5) if it's still off press and hold the power button until the power comes on or you give up (more than 20 seconds at least). Does it turn on? How long did it take?

riget

Mar 12, 2010
It's either short the cap, or hold the on button.

It takes about 7 seconds to turn off holding the power button,
it doesn't turn on after, even if I hold the button for more than 20 seconds.

It's back together and I think I'm going to try another battery.

Thanks

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
Reading up on capacitors it seems they can hold voltage for months or even longer.
That is not the whole story.

In theory, capacitors can hold their charge indefinitely. In real life, they have internal leakage current and they drain out. All of them do.

The type of capacitors you are dealing with, power aluminum caps, they have huge internal leakage and they will be drained in a matter of minutes. The rate will be high at first and slower later on. It is an exponential decay, if you are familiar with that term.

There are other types of caps that have extremely low internal leakage. They are specifically designed with that property for certain application. They typically have a maximum voltage of 5V or less. You are very unlikely to find one in a laptop. You will never find one with 12V across it.

---55p

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
It takes about 7 seconds to turn off holding the power button
That is how you turn off any computer or laptop if you want to force it off. Can you turn it off through Windows? What about the date question?

Frankly, I am really having a problem keeping things straight.

While I doubt it is the battery, that is definitely one place to start. If at all possible, buy it from a place where you can return it if it turns out to not be the case.

---55p

riget

Mar 12, 2010
Yes I can turn it off through windows, the date and time keep correct.

riget

Mar 12, 2010
Got my new battery today, and it's still the same, £30 gone.
So with my limited knowledge, either something should discharge the capacitors(if it is them that hold the power) when the laptop is turned off, and it's not doing it, or,
the laptop should still start with the charge still in the capacitors, but something is stopping it.
The laptop is working perfect, the new battery charged up fine and it's now running on the new battery with no problems, but when I turn it off it wont start unless I remove the battery and hold the power button for several seconds.
Any one any ideas?
Thanks
pete.

Just to add: searching the net I've seen several threads that tell you to remove the battery and hold the power button for 30 seconds if you have a start-up problem, so it is a known problem only it seems to only happen occasionally with other people, with me it's every time.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I hate to suggest this, but it could b software related. It is not a completely silly suggestion to try reloading your operating system.

Perhaps easier would be to download and burn a linux disk that operates from a CDROM.

If you can boot from this and shut down, then see if the system will start up again.

riget

Mar 12, 2010
I can try that later, think I have a linux cd already, but the laptop should start ok without a hard drive so can't see it being software, but I will try it.
I'm charging and discharging the new battery at the minute, and the laptop starts up ok while the battery is charging, could this mean anything?

riget

Mar 12, 2010
ok so when I got the new battery, I put it in charged it a few minutes then tried to turn it off then on again, it wouldn't start so I thought bugger it's not the battery.
So after reading that if you get a new battery you should fully charge and discharge it a few times, I've just done this and hey presto, it's turned off and on 4 times now, I've got to try it a few more times but it's looking like it was the battery.

Thanks for the help and suggestions,
now I'm going to get my lcd monitor back out that I tried to fix many months ago, and see if you can give me any help on that.

Thanks
pete.