Connect with us

Laptop Dual Screen

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by AdamHH, Mar 3, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. AdamHH

AdamHH

Mar 3, 2020
    Ok
    So I am in the process of deciding to build a dual screen for my laptop, like this:

I want to use this for my 2nd screen: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17inch-1...314136?hash=item3b34d30158:g:GbMAAOSwktFdInnB

And this for my power supply: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...4MYQ8&linkId=2d128f815ba4149cd3a09909a37b4778

For them to connect, I thought about using this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Type-C-U...hash=item46977012b2:m:m5ZJAx4N7AYcmQfxWBIRomg

And then something like this: https://www.amazon.com/HQRP-Barrel-Connector-Step-Up-Coaster/dp/B071WWBZX1

I don't know if it's going to work, as this is my first project of this sort. I would be forever grateful if someone with a little more experience could check if it would work, or if I might have missed something.

I know I forgot the one from the PSU to the converter.

Thanks
    Adam

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    The screen and controller look o.k.
    Why would you use a power bank for power supply? Apart from being portable? The one you have chowen has a 5 V output but the LCD controller needs 12 V. So, o.k., you want to use a step-up booster.
    The one you have chosen is imho not suitable. The LCD controller needs > 2 A (acc. to the specs on the website), the booster cable is supposedly able to deliver just 2 A (a number I doubt). You should use a step-up converter with at least 2.5 A output current. A much more suitable converter is e.g. of this type.

Note that the power bank is rated at 26800 mAh (make that 20000 mAh for a realistic figure, these numbers tend to be exaggerated massively). At 5 V this is equivalent to 100Wh. Which in turn after stepping up to 12 V with 80 % efficiency results in approx. 6.7 Ah usable power. Draining 2 A from that will result in a bit more than 3 hours of operating time. Is that sufficient for your needs?
    Also to be considered: For 12 V 2 A output you need 5 V 5 A input power - the power bank you have chosen is not able to deliver that much current, only 3 A. Therefore this setup is not matching your requirements.
    Consider buying a power bank with 12 V >2 A output instead of using the 5V power bank + step-up converter combination (example).
    Or find another LCD controller that works from 5 V.

I have no idea what the "Type-C USB-C PD2.0 3.0 to DC USB decoy fast charge trigger Poll detector 100W" is supposed to do. The description is all Greek to me (@HellasTechn : sorry Constantine :)).

To save you possible trouble I suggest you start with the LCD and controller only, using an external 12 V power supply (e.g. an adjustable wall wart like this one). Once that works, add the portable 12 V power supply (and keep the wall wart for your next project).

3. AdamHH

AdamHH

Mar 3, 2020
    Hey
    Thanks so much for the helpful answer!

Im going to follow your advice and first biting the screen and a Wall power supply.

Although that battery life time seems a bit low, as I would like at least 10 hours of battery, so do you have another idea for a way to get the battery lige up, it has to be portable as well, as this would be a project on a school pc

Thanks
    Adam

4. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    No worries brother Harrald, Hellenic (Greek) language is semantic and so complex that no one can blame you :)

5. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    12 V, 2 A 10 h multiplies to 240 Wh battery capacity or 20 Ah (for a 12 V battery). I'm afraid you're in for a not so portable solution.

Once you have the setip running with the wall wart, check the real power consumption of LCD and driver. It is probably much less than the 2 A stated on the "datasheet". You can then use the lower real value to determine the battery capacity required. Whatever battery solution you use you have to make sure it is capable to deliver 2 A at least peak current as the driver may not work correctly otherwise if peak current demand cannot be satisfied.

HellasTechn likes this.
Ask a Question