Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Laptop charger broke. I have another one with a different plug. Will this work?

dimebong

Dec 14, 2012
My cheap old hot glue gun shorted out and tripped the breaker so i switched it back on and now i've just noticed my laptop (HP G6 1000) charger isn't charging the laptop; It isn't even detected (they were plugged into the same plug board). I can still hear a sound coming from it when i put it up to my ear.

My question is would my old charger work with this laptop?

The specs for the faulty one are:

Output: 18.5V 3.5A 65W

The specs for the other charger are:

Output: 18.5V 4.9A 90W

The replacement charger i've had my eye on online says
DC Output: 19 V - 4.74 A 90W (Also replaces 18.5v-3.5A 65w)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/laptops/power-adaptors/compaq-/-hp/auction-543324759.htm

Does the amperage matter? I don't know a thing about electronics.
Would this charger work if i changed the cables.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
They should all work, as long as the amperage of the new one is in excess of the original you are fine... The 0.5V different 'should' not be an issue either as almost all devices will tolerate a small variance in voltage...

Do mind polarity of the plug...

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The new unit must be able to supply at least the current tho old one did (any more is OK).

The voltage should be as close as possible. An extra half a volt should be perfectly fine.

Just make sure the polarity of the output is the same (i.e. +ve and -ve the same way around)

dimebong

Dec 14, 2012
They should all work, as long as the amperage of the new one is in excess of the original you are fine... The 0.5V different 'should' not be an issue either as almost all devices will tolerate a small variance in voltage...

Do mind polarity of the plug...

I was just bringing up the one for sale to show that it is compatible with the laptop even though the voltage and amperage is different.

I have an old charger that is 4.9A, and the same voltage. The old charger is 3.5.
All i have to do is switch the cables if that's possible.

You're saying this will work? That's awesome. Saves me from spending $30

dimebong

Dec 14, 2012
Just make sure the polarity of the output is the same (i.e. +ve and -ve the same way around)

Cool. I'll try that. I would have had no computer for a good week once this battery ran out.

remote52

Dec 15, 2012
psu

i have repaired many laptops and only one that has to have same psu are dells otherwise wont charge battery

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Dell can be a bastard like that