Connect with us

laptop ACadapter barrel plug polarity simbol?

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Tim Wescott, Jun 4, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Tim Wescott

    Tim Wescott Guest

    That just means it's DC; if there's any polarity markings they'll be
  2. Orc General

    Orc General Guest

    What's the barrel plug symbol means when it has a solid line on top and a
    dashed right under it? Is that ot say the barrel plug has the inside
    cylinder as negative and the outside positive? or is it hte other way
  3. Richard H.

    Richard H. Guest

    Neither. IIRC it means the input needs to be *regulated* DC power (not
    a wall wart).

    Usually there's another indicator like a C with a dot in the middle
    (i.e., the end of a barrel connector), with one of them showing + or -.
    That's your polarity marking.

  4. Pooh Bear

    Pooh Bear Guest

    Hey - some wall warts *are* regulated DC.

    Did you mean 'it isn't AC' ?

    < picks up ADSL modem > Only if the manufacturer can be bothered ! There's
    nothing on the back at all.

  5. Richard H.

    Richard H. Guest

    Should've said "most" wall warts. Nearly all the wall warts I come
    across (i.e., consumer goods) aren't regulated, though there are
    certainly exceptions like the one you mentioned. (IME most regulated
    supplies tend to be inline bricks for some reason, like laptops.)

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day