Connect with us

Lap timer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Brian Ski, Apr 26, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Brian Ski

Brian Ski

Apr 19, 2013
    Well my time to ask a question. I am trying to find or build a timer to measure laps. Nice to have something self reseting. We are running 4 wheelers around a grass track. (so no in pavement sensor) I only want to time one vehicle at a time so I don't need a transmitter in each vehicle. I was thinking of an optical sensor. Something that could be put out on stakes??? Maybe something like an overhead garage door sensor. Would be nice to have the sensors about 30 or 40 feet apart. (or as much as 100 feet) Track size is 1/4 mile (?? or less).

I have found a digital display that uses this for triggering. (see picture) Probably will use a 12 volt dc power. Will have to give it a try when I get it to see what happens when it is triggered and triggered again without a reset.

It would be ideal to have the time reset after each lap and keep the current time until the next lap would reset it to the new time. (like I said ideal)

I have worked with repairing electronics, but this is more out of my league. Trying to find something simple and cheap. Ideas??? Thanks

Attached Files:

Ask a Question