Connect with us

Lamp part repair

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by ssylee, Jan 22, 2008.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. ssylee

    ssylee Guest

    I'm planning to repair the lamp as shown in
    .. I'm confused what's the black part called as I suspect that
    particular part is the culprit of the light bulb not turning on (the
    light bulb is brand new and the contacts looked burnt). Any
    suggestions would be most welcomed. Thanks!
  2. Guest


    Can be found in various iterations at Home Depot. If you can afford
    it, get one that is ceramic vs. bakelite or plastic. if it will
    fit. Otherwise:

    Mind the exposed connections on the back of it, especially if that is
    a metal housing. You may have to transfer the cover cap from the old

    Peter Wieck
    Wyncote, PA
  3. James Sweet

    James Sweet Guest

    The socket?

    It's easy enough to do, however if you have to ask what it's called, I
    suggest you do some reading or get someone experienced to help you, or just
    buy a new lamp. Done wrong it can be a shock or fire hazzard.

    Google replacing a lamp socket, there should be some DIY resources out
    there. Any hardware store or book store will have DIY electrical or general
    home repair books will have pictures and instructions for tasks like that. A
    book is a good investment that you can use for other projects too.
  4. mc

    mc Guest

    Wise advice. I always tell people that their very first electronics project
    should not be something safety-critical.
  5. mc

    mc Guest

    Also, it could be a very quick job for an appliance repair shop.
  6. Tov

    Tov Guest

    You haven't been using a higher-rated bulb than the lamp can take,
    have you?
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day