Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LabView RIO hardware

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
So I just recently attended a small seminar put on by national instruments about the new RIO (Real-Time Input/Output) hardware for use with the LabView software.

I just wanted to share some of the info about it, I found the technology to be very impressive and it opens a whole new chapter on development.

I think these will take off running once they become more popular (and cheaper as they are quite expensive and the software is expensive too)

Here is a link to the training info (scroll to the bottom to get the zip file with all the slides)

The fact that you can take 250KS/s to 1MS/s with a headless unit and view that data on a computer connected to the same network in real time is incredible. The new units have a CPU connected to an FPGA module in it, you program using LabView icons and then save a bitfile which converts the icons and connections into VHDL (encrypted file that is totally inaccessible) which is then run on the FPGA module.

if anyone wants to get some hands on time with these modules they sell an "evaluation" kit here, the board that this comes with is sold on its own for $1,200 (dont mention the fact that you know this to the sales person you talk to when purchasing though)

Just wanted to share this new technology that I am very excited for