Connect with us

Know who makes this potentiometer?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by patricksurry, Oct 6, 2013.

1. patricksurry

patricksurry

Oct 6, 2013
    I'm trying to identify who makes a potentiometer used in my RC transmitter (Spektrum DX6i). It's got a short in it, and the manufacturer won't repair or sell me a replacement. (Here's the full saga.)

The DX6i uses two different physical sizes, both 5K linear taper, with about 3/4 (270deg) total throw. Both have a 3.5mm inner flatted ("D") shaft. The outer one is 15mm from the mounting plate to the end of the shaft, which includes a 5mm long smooth bushing slotted for a retaining clip, 6mm diameter. The inner one is 14mm with slightly shorter shaft with longer flat. No manufacturer identification, just "linear (B) 5K" marking.

I've spent ages searching the web trying to figure out who makes these pots, with no luck. Found someone on ebay selling surplus of a 5K log (audio) taper variety with same shaft and smooth bushing with retaining clip slot (different lengths and log not linear) so looks like it's made by the same supplier, so I'm guessing someone sells a whole range of them, but can't figure out who (the eBay supplier doesn't know either). The 3.5mm shaft dimension seems very rare.

I've included two photos of the ones from the Tx, and the similar one I found on ebay. Any ideas??

Attached Files:

2. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    It's a no name Chinese part which failed. Do you really want another, or would you like a good name brand replacement? (rhetorical question)

Go to the Mouser or Digikey sites and familiarize yourself with Bourns and other quality brands, then go to their sites. Look for 1/8" shafts. The larger diameter part is called a bushing.

You may have to machine the retention clip slots yourself. It can be done with a Dremel cut off wheel and a jig.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  3. patricksurry

patricksurry

Oct 6, 2013
    Yes would definitely prefer a better part, but the pot forms an integral part
    of the gimbal assembly so the mechanical dimensions are key.

So far I haven't been able to find anything similar at digikey or mouser.

I'm wondering about substituting a Bourns rotary position sensor and a length of 3.5mm flatted rod if I can make that work.

Thanks
    Patrick

Ask a Question