Maker Pro
Maker Pro

kids ride on electric bike

sparkyork

Mar 23, 2013
hi all

im a sparky by trade but electronics is another ball game!

got a kids ride on 6v bike that im trying to work out why it doesnt work.

the bike has two relays and and one of them a spdt relay has only three wires going to it and a red wire which appears to have broken off of somewhere else but not sure if it comes from the possitive of the charging socket or somewhere else, if i can post some pics is anybody up for helping me diagnose why the bike has stopped working?

any help would be much appreciated by me and my young lad lol

cheers

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
Be happy to.
First, is your 6 volt battery charged?
You can try connecting the motor directly to the battery and seeing if it works.
The motor, connected up one way turns in a direction. Reverse the two wires and the motor should turn the other. Now your almost there. You might be able to look inside the relay and see how they connect to make the motor do what it is supposed to do.

If your still stuck, post the pictures and the make and model of the bike and maybe one of us can figure it out.

sparkyork

Mar 23, 2013
thanks john

ill get the battery charged and put a circuit diagram of how things are at the moment with the wiring.
dont know the make and model of the bike though.
watch this space

sparkyork

Mar 23, 2013
here is a circuit diagram of the wiring

Attachments

• thomasbike.png
    thomasbike.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 258

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
Sorry, I can't find the datasheet for your helishun hls81.
Are you sure that number is correct. Can you look again?
I suspect it is a relay and that if your loose wire goes to the coils of the relay and that if this wwas connected to one end of the battery the relay would energize. It may be that this connects to the side of the switch opposite to the side the battery is connected to but I'm not sure.
If we can't figure out what the hls81 is you might just have to try in.

sparkyork

Mar 23, 2013
hls 8L is the name of the relay, yeah connecting to the hand drawn bit would possibly energize the relay as you say, ill try and geti the battery charged and see what happens, is the little resistor and capacitor by the forward reverse switch just to give a stable 5v voltage?

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
The resistor would help prevent arching in the switch.
I'm not sure but this also may be to help prevent RF interference as is required by the FCC if this is sold in the Unites States.

That's all you can do for now is just try connecting that wire to things and seeing what happens.

sparkyork

Mar 23, 2013
hi all

charged the battery up and found that the car started to work!
tried the cable that was loose on the charging pin but that didnt really do anything, although it did seem to make the relay click.
i charged the battery externally so didnt use the round pin connector as shown on the right hand side of the circuit diagram, any of you peeps think the loose red wire goes somewhere else??
it seems to work so might just charge battery externally and go from there? any ideas most welcome lol

cheers
rich

sparkyork

Mar 23, 2013
anyone got any ideas as to what the spare wire does, something to do with charging maybe?

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
I can only guess. Maybe the wire broke off the jack that is the charging port.
I cannot find the datasheet for the HLS81. If someone could come up with one maybe we could figure out where the wire goes.
I think the HLS81 is a relay but I'm not even sure of that. Can you double check this part to make sure the numbers and letters are correct.

sparkyork

Mar 23, 2013
hi john
the relay is a helishun hls8L if that helps not a 1 at the end.
if it does go to the charging point then it doesnt work as the motor is unresponsive, think it must go somewhere though, the two wires that are already connected are all negatives so dont know how the positive comes into the equation aswell ? could it be to help the negatives in some way??

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
I will tell you what I think.
I believe the loose wire goes to the charging plug. It disconnects the battery from the motor circuit to prevent the bike from moving while the charge cord is plugged in.
So, if you want, you could connect the other two wires you show on your schematic together to disable the relay, cut off the loos wire, and continue to use the bike as it.
As I see it the only downfall is that someone might ride off with the bike with the charge cord still plugged in. Or you could try to find where the wire broke off the charge plug and put it back. Good luck because it might be broken and you would need to find another plug.