Maker Pro
Maker Pro

kicker ZX2500.1 amp blew out

NCC74656

Jun 6, 2013
so its suspected that the amp had low voltage running to it and as much as i think that is false, it is the predominant theory on audio forums.

so this amp was working fine at max volume, it then played at very low volume for about 40 min after that and was powered down. then a few min later it was powered up and no audio came out. i disassembled it and found some burnt mosfets, resistors, and another part. while poking at things the amp powered up and starting working again so i assume its only these parts that were broken. here are the included pictures.

what i need to know is where to buy these parts.

the small resistor ohms out at 205 while it should be 150 like its bothers on the PCB. i did not test the mosfet as its... well... in pieces. but its neighbor there has some burn marks on it, perhaps it would be prudent to replace that one as well?
finally the small blue resistor between the speaker terminals does not ohm out, at all. i tried below the insulation and also from solder points under the PCB. is there any reason a resistor would not ohm out or do we think this one is just out right bad?

http://imgur.com/a/P2aJ0

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
You are probably going to need a service manual with a parts list and a schematic so that you can fint the correct parts values
then go to dihikey, mouser etc for the parts

Dave

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Dave should have said "need".

"deen" is what we say in the southern hemisphere whilst walking on our heads and hanging on so we don't fall off the earth.

NCC74656

Jun 6, 2013
well i got the blue resistor to ohm out and by its colors its a 2.2K ohm part with a 5% margin. so its 2.15 is with in spec so i think ill keep it. i see 2 bad mosfets and have found them online for 1.00 each but the date codes do not match. do i need to have these matching or is it safe to swap them in? if i do need to get exact date codes i may have to swap ALL of them... id like to avoid that if i can.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
matching part code is what you need
date code is not important

Dave

NCC74656

Jun 6, 2013
ok, sounds like a plan then. does anyone know where i can buy these parts locally in st. paul minnesota usa? i know i had found a place a couple years ago when my TV went out but i forget what it was called. there must be a place in this huge metro that i can buy locally...

NCC74656

Jun 6, 2013
i was just told that a IRFB3306PBF is an upgraded part to my old mosfets and i should buy that one instead to get more power. thoughts?