Connect with us

Keyboard Ribbon Cable Repair

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by spiderd, Jun 23, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. spiderd

spiderd

Jun 23, 2014
    Hello guys, so I was trying to repair my laptop and I broke the keyboard connector and as a result the actual keyboard ribbon cable needs repairing, the end of the cable are carbon silver tracks which have been worn off, I wondering is it possible to repair the cable by add the carbon back on ? What sort of equipment would I need etc ?

Picture of the cable is bellow:
    [​IMG]

Regards
    Ali

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi there
    welcome to the forums :)

there is conductive silver paint you can buy
    most larger electronics suppliers should stock it
    Mouser, Digikey, Element14 etc

It wont be a permanent repair, but may extend the life of the system a bit longer :)

cheers
    Dave

3. spiderd

spiderd

Jun 23, 2014
    Is it the Conductive Silver Paste Pen thing, is there a permanent fix for this ? Or is it best I just by the whole keyboard part lol

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Yes

I used to do lots of repairs to tracks on Atari and Commodore computer membrane keyboards in years gone bye
    the repairs lasted 6months to several years, depending on how rough the owner was with their gear

buying a replacement is the only permanent fix :)

Dave

5. spiderd

spiderd

Jun 23, 2014
    Cool cheers, also I'm I stupidly broke the keyboard connector on the motherboard and I'm getting the replacement part for it including the Hot Air Gun but I need to know when I apply the hot air to the connector for a few minutes so the solder gets loose will the plastic melt ? Pic is bellow of what I will try to remove:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    no pic attached

7. spiderd

spiderd

Jun 23, 2014
    Just edited my previous post the pic there now sorry

8. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Isn't that a socket for the cable?

Or was that cable permanently attached to it?

9. spiderd

spiderd

Jun 23, 2014
    Yes that's the socket for the keyboard cable it isn't permanently attached, ive damaged the plastic holder that was there before which gives the ribbon and connectors good contact so the keyboard can work properly. That's why I'm going to attempt to replace the connector but need to know if I apply the hot air to that area will it melt the plastic or is the plastic designed to take more heat than the solder.

10. kpatz

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
    You can put Kapton high-temperature tape over the plastic part to keep it from melting.

If you're replacing the connector anyway, it would be a good test with the old one to see if it is heat resistant or not.

11. Stuart Warner

Stuart Warner

Jun 28, 2014
    You must buy the conductive silver paint from the electronic suppliers.

Ask a Question